A Coal From the Altar -- Samuel Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started to read it but I need a translator, Drew!

I get bogged down in the "mis-spellings" so to speak. BTW I had to go to a different site as that one was not loading.

Brother, do you ever sleep? :lol:

:lol: I couldn't sleep too well so I decided to do some research this morning. Now I need a nap!

Started to read it but I need a translator, Drew!

I get bogged down in the "mis-spellings" so to speak. BTW I had to go to a different site as that one was not loading.

I think Internet Archive had a glitch but I believe it's working now. I know that Puritan typeface isn't easy to read, but I commend you for trying, brother!

Samuel Ward is perhaps especially challenging (but very much worth the effort). You can read this sermon in the Banner of Truth edition compiled by J.C. Ryle (in modern English). Ryle also says this, however:

The language of Ward's sermons ought not to be passed over without remark. I venture to say that, in few writings of the seventeenth-century, will there be found so many curious, old-fashioned, and forcible words as in Ward's sermons. Some of these words are unhappily obsolete and unintelligible to the multitude, to the grievous loss of English literature. Many of them will require explanatory foot-notes, in order to make them understood by the majority of readers.

I'm glad to hear that this is benefiting others. My husband was the one that typed it up, and my son formatted and uploaded it to Project Gutenberg. It is great to see their efforts being a blessing to others.

I'm glad to hear that this is benefiting others. My husband was the one that typed it up, and my son formatted and uploaded it to Project Gutenberg. It is great to see their efforts being a blessing to others.

I know that your family has done much good work and this among other labors is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back