A common thread of Puritan theology seems centered on looking to Jesus. How can I put this into words to explain to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_Goodwin

Puritan Board Freshman
I am reading Isaac ambroses work and that explains it well.
I also appreciate the illustration of it numbers as it is mentioned in John 3 (bronze snake).
Spurgeon talks a lot about the gospel life look, and I can understand it better with my minds eye that can put into words with tongue.
Isaac Ambrose is very helpful with this though.

I have often recommended Looking Unto Jesus to my congregation. It is a beautiful work. Sadly, it is out of print, but I was able to procure the Sprinkle edition before it was. If it were in print, I would give a copy to every man I know who is about to be ordained to the gospel ministry.

I have often recommended Looking Unto Jesus to my congregation. It is a beautiful work. Sadly, it is out of print, but I was able to procure the Sprinkle edition before it was. If it were in print, I would give a copy to every man I know who is about to be ordained to the gospel ministry.
I believe there are still pdf versions today. It would be a massive blessing to others if people who had an imprint copy to publish it online, as you are right it is a massive blessing.

There is also a pretty good Kindle version for a few dollars that some of my congregants are using. I am grateful the book is still accessible in various forms, including PDF.

I have personally found Ambrose's Looking Unto Jesus and just about anything by William Bridge to be most blessed comforts

PXL_20211102_194423513.jpg

It is now back in print in a nice hardcover edition. It just hit my desk.

LookingUnto1.jpg
LookingUnto2.jpg

https://www.heritagebooks.org/products/looking-unto-Jesus-hardcover-ambrose.html

Roll up, roll up, all prospective ministers, the copies are all on Rom!!! :cheers:

Spurgeon talks a lot about the gospel life look, and I can understand it better with my minds eye that can put into words with tongue.
Isaac Ambrose is very helpful with this though.

Numbers 21:4‭-‬6 KJV
And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way. And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread. And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

When faced with death from the serpents, these sinners we're told simply to "Look and live." Sometimes that it's enough.

I have found that being natural and winsome, and filled with the Spirit, are far more important than the actual words you say.

It is an excellent cover design, which is crucial to selling a book of such importance.
Yes. I have often lamented the cover design chosen by smaller publishers who are putting excellent books in print. The cover can be so unattractive that it is a positive disservice to the work they are trying to promote.

Numbers 21:4‭-‬6 KJV
And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way. And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread. And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

When faced with death from the serpents, these sinners we're told simply to "Look and live." Sometimes that it's enough.

I have found that being natural and winsome, and filled with the Spirit, are far more important than the actual words you say.
Yes this was the passage I was refering to.

It's a wonderful book. I've been reading a used copy I recently got daily. Wonderfully devotional, but filled with theological insight. Looking_Unto_Jesus.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back