A credo with a question for credos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Baptist

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello Brethren,

I am directing my question in the main to those who have dug deep into this subject. I have begun reading through Fred Malone's book, 'The Baptism of Disciples Alone" and have found his points on target. However, being relatively new to the topic in terms of examining both views, do you believe Malone actually deals with the core issues? From what I have read so far on the PB concerning the paedo view, he does. What do you think of his approach in showing the hermeneutical inconsistency of paedobaptism and how paedobaptism fails the regulative principle?

I have looked at some of the paedobaptist critiques of the book and have found them a bit emotional, if not harsh. This is unfortunate to see as I believe there should be great charity between brethren who differ on the subject. The responses I have browsed engender more heat than light even as far as characterizing Baptists as a dissenter movement tearing apart the church of Jesus Christ. The Rejection of the  Baptism of Disciples Alone

But I am seeking an answer from my credo-brethren. What has been your reaction to this work? Do you find it sound?

I am preparing to jump into Malone's book after finishing up some eschatology reading. Realize that some of the paedo critique is of the nature of the feeling you pick up on the PB from both sides when someone jumps ship. The emotions invested in Chris' recent reversion to credo baptism exemplifies what I mean. Malone has served on both sides of the divide and that makes him more useful to credos wanting to understand the issues as well as more potentially damaging to the paedo side.

The issue of the regulative principle sounds weak to me at this point (anxious to see how Malone handles it). As with some of the other arguments on both sides, I am beginning to realize that it all depends on your starting point or controlling presuppositions. If you begin with OT covenantal patterns, you already have an explicit command (and plenty of examples) to follow on the subject. If you posit radical discontinuity between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant and also begin with the NT, then there is only inference from unclear texts. So, if you are paedo, you will probably not feel the force of the argument regarding the RPW. However, if you are credo, you may not care anyway (other than to use it as a rhetorical point in your debates with confessional paedos: "you don't even follow your own idea of the RPW").

Last edited:
I am preparing to jump into Malone's book after finishing up some eschatology reading. Realize that some of the paedo critique is of the nature of the feeling you pick up on the PB from both sides when someone jumps ship. The emotions invested in Chris' recent reversion to credo baptism exemplifies what I mean. Malone has served on both sides of the divide and that makes him more useful to credos wanting to understand the issues as well as more potentially damaging to the paedo side.

The issue of the regulative principle sounds weak to me at this point (anxious to see how Malone handles it). As with some of the other arguments on both sides, I am beginning to realize that it all depends on your starting poiny or controlling presuppositions. If you begin with OT covenantal patterns, you already have an explicit command (and plenty of examples) to follow on the subject. If you posit radical discontinuity between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant and also begin with the NT, then there is only inference from unclear texts. So, if you are paedo, you will probably not feel the force of the argument regarding the RPW. However, if you are credo, you may not care anyway (other than to use it as a rhetorical point in your debates with confessional paedos: "you don't even follow your own idea of the RPW").

Thanks for the reply. I am interested in your thoughts as you read the book, especially the point he makes regarding paedocommuion.

I personally agree with Malone's conclusions and his understanding reguarding paedocommunion in light of continuity and inferences.

BTW, I restarted the newer edition a month ago but put it down after I got about 1/3 rd of the way through it. But I will pick it up again this week.

I haven't read this particular book, although I have read some shorter articles by Malone on the topic. I've been told that a few of my arguments in the debate threads that Dennis referenced are similar to some of Malone's in this book so I guess that's good or bad depending on which side of the fence you are on. :lol:

It does seem that my "a-ha" moment on paedobaptism and paedocommunion was similar to Malone's although mine was in the context of Acts 2 and his was in the context of a study of Exodus.

I haven't read this particular book, although I have read some shorter articles by Malone on the topic. I've been told that a few of my arguments in the debate threads that Dennis referenced are similar to some of Malone's in this book so I guess that's good or bad depending on which side of the fence you are on. :lol:

It does seem that my "a-ha" moment on paedobaptism and paedocommunion was similar to Malone's although mine was in the context of Acts 2 and his was in the context of a study of Exodus.

If I am not mistaken Malone still didn't endorse the paedocommunion position. He just said it could be arrived at by inference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back