A Defense for each Standard in the WCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherPaul

Puritan Board Senior
I request your help to list some thorough treatments dedicated to defending each of the Westminster Confession of Faith standards:

I = Of the Holy Scripture

II = Of God, and of the Holy Trinity

III = Of God's Eternal Decree

IV = Of Creation

V = Of Providence - Mystery of Providence by John Flavel

VI = Of the Fall of Man, of Sin, and of the Punishment thereof

VII = Of God's Covenant with Man

VIII = Of Christ the Mediator

IX = Of Free Will

X = Of Effectual Calling

XI = Of Justification - Doctrine of Justification by James Buchanan

XII = Of Adoption

XIII = Of Sanctification

XIV = Of Saving Faith

XV = Of Repentance unto Life

XVI = Of Good Works

XVII = Of the Perseverance of the Saints

XVIII = Of Assurance of Grace and Salvation - Quest For Full Assurance by Joel Beeke

XIX = Of the Law of God - Lectures on the Ten Commandments by James Durham

XX = Of Christian Liberty, and Liberty of Conscience

XXI = Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day - Lord's Day by Joseph Pipa, A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies by George Gillespie

XXII = Of lawful Oaths and Vows

XXIII = Of the Civil Magistrate

XXIV = Of Marriage and Divorce

XXV = Of the Church

XXVI = Of the Communion of Saints

XXVII = Of the Sacraments

XXVIII = Of Baptism - 23 Lectures on Christian Baptism by William Shishko

XXIX = Of the ' Supper

XXX = Of Church Censures

XXXI = Of Synods and Councils

XXXII = Of the State of Men after Death, and of the Resurrection of the Dead

XXXIII = Of the Last Judgment

:book2:

Last edited:
I guess I should have qualified no Confession Commentaries. Although they are a good place to start.

I am looking for book recommendations for each topic. Most commentaries are not thorough. For example the commentaries do not address the atonement as thoroughly as John Owen's The Death of Death... or the infallibility of Scripture like BB Warfield, etc.

Can we admend these to state whether they are using the original WCF or the Amercanized version?

How about also including lecture series in addition to books, in the list?

CT

I have no problem with that. I am looking for a resource to refer to in order to find thorough defenses for each part of our confession.

If someone wanted to study why we believe in say, predestination I would send them to something like Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by Boettner over say Gordon Clarks What Do Presbyterians Believe?

Both are beneficial and helpful, but one is a thorough defense of teh confessional standard while the other is a brief overview.

On Chapter 18 - Assurance, I recommend Joel Beeke's "Quest For Full Assurance".
On Chapter 5 - Providence, I would recommend John Flavel's "Mystery of Providence".
On Chapter 11 - Justification, I would recommend James Buchanan's "Doctrine of Justification", still considered the most definitive work on the subject.

XIX = Of the Law of God
Lot of choices here, but I'll suggest James Durham, Lectures on the Ten Commandments (Dallas, Tx: Naphtali Press, 2002).
XXI = Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day
George Gillespie, A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies (Dallas, Tx: Naphtali Press, 1993). On the Lord's day, see Durham on the fourth commandment. This is also online at www.naphtali.com.

On Chapter 18 - Assurance, I recommend Joel Beeke's "Quest For Full Assurance".
On Chapter 5 - Providence, I would recommend John Flavel's "Mystery of Providence".
On Chapter 11 - Justification, I would recommend James Buchanan's "Doctrine of Justification", still considered the most definitive work on the subject.

I haven't read Beeke's book but i would definitely recommend the other two works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back