A Happy New Year to One and All

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
There remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.—Josh. 13:1

Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.—Phil. 3:12

Amen.

Our ol' PB friend, Reagan Marsh, sent this to me and I thought it was spot on:

A Blessed New Year
by Joel Beeke

It is a good custom to wish each other a happy new year. Too often, however, what we mean by “Happy New Year” is: I hope that you stay healthy, that everything goes well for you, and that you have lots of prosperity this year in everything that you do.

The Reformers and Puritans got it quite a bit better. They often wished each other a blessed new year (“blessed”=internal happiness regardless of circumstances), by which they meant something like this: I hope that everything that comes your way by the hand of Providence this year may be sanctified to you in and through Christ, so that you may be patient in adversity, thankful in prosperity, and have a firm trust in our faithful God and Father for the unknown future (Heidelberg Catechism, Q. 28), believing that all things work together for good to them that love Him (Rom. 8:28).

So, I wish you and your family a blessed new year! I wish you in 2020 the experience of Samuel Rutherford who could say, “Every day we may see some new thing in Christ. His love has neither brim nor bottom. In our fluctuations of feeling, it is well to remember that Jesus admits no change in His affections; your heart is not the compass Jesus saileth by.”
//

So, I wish you and your family a blessed new year! I wish you in 2020 the experience of Samuel Rutherford who could say, “Every day we may see some new thing in Christ. His love has neither brim nor bottom. In our fluctuations of feeling, it is well to remember that Jesus admits no change in His affections; your heart is not the compass Jesus saileth by.”
:rutherford::pilgrim::ditto::pilgrim::rutherford:

I was in bed by 11:00 PM, so I wasn't singing anything last night. May the Lord bless each of you this year and may He give us the grace to maintain our testimony on both smiling and frowning providences.

Bah. Humbug. Artificial man made holiday.

If any "New Year" should be celebrated, it should be the Winter Solstice (for those of us north of the equator, of course; Summer Soltice for those to the South). That is what is established by the natural law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back