A Hard Lesson to Learn by John Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeard

Puritan Board Freshman
Dear friend,
You have one hard lesson to learn, that is—the evil of your own heart. You know something of it, but it is needful that you should know more; for the more we know of ourselves—the more we shall prize and love Jesus and His wondrous salvation.
The more you know Him—the better you will trust Him.
The more you trust Him—the better you will love Him.
The more you love Him—the better you will serve Him.
This is God's way. He is teaching you these things, and I trust He will teach you to the end.
I hope what you find in yourself by daily experience, will humble you—but not discourage you.
For if our Physician is almighty—our disease cannot be desperate.
Our sins are many—but His mercies are more.
Our sins are great—but His righteousness is greater.
When our sins prevail, remember that we have an Advocate with the Father, who is able to pity, to pardon, and to save to the uttermost!
Remember, the growth of a believer is not like a mushroom—but like an oak, which increases slowly—but indeed surely. Many suns, showers, and frosts, pass upon it before it comes to perfection. And in winter, when it seems to be dead—it is gathering strength at the root. Be humble, watchful, and diligent in the means of grace; and endeavor to look through all, and fix your eye upon Jesus—and all shall be well. I commend you to the care of the good Shepherd and Guardian of your souls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back