A Humble Argument for the Cessation of NT Prophecy and Tongues, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Bob Gonzales

Puritan Board Junior
Brothers,

In Part 1 of this series, we noted that many believers today debate the question of whether God is continuing to confer on the NT church the the gifts of prophecy and tongues. In Part 2, we began to develop an argument in favor of “cessationism.” Our major premises rests on the assumption that the inscripturated revelation of the Old and New Testaments are the final form and goal of redemptive revelation. Therefore, with the completion of the canon of Scripture, pre-parousia special revelation has ceased. In our previous post, we identified a completed OT canon. Now we must make a case for a completed NT canon.

The Cessation of Special Revelation: A Humble Argument for the Cessation of Prophecy and Tongues, Part 3

Your servant,

Can an argument be made that the NT cannon was first completed and used by General Shizhong in 1132?

Theognome

-----Added 3/5/2009 at 09:59:06 EST-----

Okay, enough of being silly. To be straight up with you, I find your arguments, from premises to conclusions, to be very sound and agreeable. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Theognome

Good stuff once more. Are you planning to pursue publication in RBTR or another journal? Something like this would also make a nice little pamphlet for church resource tables.

Good stuff once more. Are you planning to pursue publication in RBTR or another journal? Something like this would also make a nice little pamphlet for church resource tables.

Thanks, Bryan. It's possible that I could try to get it published in the future. Still needs lots of work. Part of the reason I post things like this on RBS Tabletalk or here on the PB is to solicit input and even constructive criticism. This helps be to refine and to shore up arguments where there are weaknesses. I have taught this in my church. The people especially got a kick out of Luther's comments about "throwing Jimmy into the fire."

Your servant,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back