A Humble Argument for the Cessation of NT Prophecy and Tongues, Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Bob Gonzales

Puritan Board Junior
Brothers,

In our previous post, we noted that continuationist theologian Wayne Grudem argues for a distinction between OT canonical prophecy and NT congregational prophecy. In contrast with OT prophecy, which is divine, infallible, and fully authoritative special revelation, the NT gift of prophecy is, according to Grudem, semi-revelational, potentially fallible, and relatively authoritative. What shall we think about this distinction? I want to argue that the Scriptures do not support Grudem’s distinction between OT canonical prophecy (infallible) and NT congregational prophecy (potentially fallible). I have five lines of argumentation, the first three are presented below and the last two in our next post.

The Cessation of Special Revelation: A Humble Argument for the Cessation of NT Prophecy and Tongues, Part 7

Your servant,

Thanks Dr. Bob. I am looking forward to reading these blogs. My middle son Josh is struggling with some of his friends in Highschool over this issue.

Well written! Point 2 probably serves as the real state of the question between the two positions. NT prophecy is, in the proper sense of the term, "continuing" revelation, reflecting the fulness of the Holy Spirit as poured out by the risen and exalted Lord. The idea that this "revelation" could be of an inferior quality to what was given in the OT is contrary to the fact that the revelation by His Son is rather considered to be superior to that which God gave through the OT prophets, Heb. 1:1-3; 2:1-4.

The idea that this "revelation" could be of an inferior quality to what was given in the OT is contrary to the fact that the revelation by His Son is rather considered to be superior to that which God gave through the OT prophets, Heb. 1:1-3; 2:1-4.

Excellent observation, Matthew. It would seem that Grudem has it backwards, i.e., from superior (OT prophecy) to inferior (NT prophecy). Thanks for your input.

Your servant,

Dr. Gonzales, thank you for this series. In several weeks time, I'm going to meet with some old Pentecostal friends. And I need some way of faithfully explaining where we stand on this issue. Dr. Grudem's position used to attract me in the past. But not anymore.

Dr., Thanks for posting this! Good Job,I LOVE Grudem and His Systematic Theology, but his position on the gifts has me scratching my head and I have a long way to go in learning about this issue ,your insight helps me unpack this,I greatly enjoy and learn from your posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back