A Lifetime in the Church and University (Thiselton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Thiselton, Anthony. A Lifetime in the Church and University. Wipf & Stock.

I’ve read a few of Thiselton’s texts on hermeneutics. This book describes his seminary life and early challenges in ministry. It reads like a laugh-riot. Evidently, he knew every evangelical Anglican of importance in the last 50 years: John Stott, JI Packer, three archbishops of Canterbury, NT Wright, Carl Trueman, etc.

He had bad eyesight as a child.

3i4vnXLOj-3oLHUfoncHPmpsj2IWOdloLC3je8PeuZw8K7T4r049DGi06ChMH3kWtwrBtf70bK-KaVOqoI7mzovnShcY376wiIOl26NZyDz76AprFPKHcb-_Q7pTYoLKbPTODcsm

The book can be read in one or two sittings. It is a warm Sabbath read. While most of us won’t have the experience of Wodehouse’s England, we can probably identify with Thiselton when he would go to a new church or college, expecting to have quality music in worship, only to be demanded to play “Shine, Jesus Shine.”

TNZ-NIPYmB6HEDoaIAVbTRAQ-kQkLKBUAqRENYUrmAJMTkUP_lDCpGRIDA3-6V8R0QKvqK5I30Y_Eb7OZBy1V6O3gDDW9jAindyv_eOGnjUIvT7E0xMJdh87tGnAsjakwI0i4Dnc

eVHjBQfbMC8ii8t1544JdqtAwdKmZNR7FHoAm73wD6rHBeKJINt7fzsJd5-CJlEVqrbUDDOnu0fgnuYbJ1D5B2NNVI0c8p9YbuaqJFsVJkVuN6NqSweuYcqTObjK5h5p52x9GJEo

SXbbkFzc3E13VkISyfqXqQ5rtiAfqpdbqzwKYPpG4fDEbY884yC9rGnz1iMooihSsCDXFAr5AuoKcjJf2O7OsNe_5y-0v_4giSy_ORmHwGGtuoKH-J4hMkAkiAX0_Z1YljJrzMT1

The book ends with his various committees on controversies in the Church of England regarding healing and women in the ministry. I do wish he would have said more on homosexuality. Then again, he might not have been on any of those study groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back