A Little Bit Less Free Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
For some years now, the Free Church of Scotland has had a very interesting and freewheeling discussion board (www.fcosonline.org). I visited it tonight, after having been gone for quite awhile, and found myself let in for a shock:

The board has now been completely taken over by the moderators: (1) the moderators will decide which topics can be discussed (members no longer have the privilege of choosing/starting topics); (2) all posts must be relevant to the pre-chosen topics only; (3) all posts will be "pre-moderated" (as they put it) to make sure that they are properly subservient to the all-powerful moderators' wishes.

No reasons for this change were given.

Such a shame. There were many lively and edifying discussions on that board. Now there will only be pre-approved ones.

Orwell was right: Big Brother is watching you!

A real shame. Sounds like someone is afraid of other people's opinions and insights.:(

Perhaps some weird ideas were getting aired and they wanted to shut it down.:think:

Orwell was right: Big Brother is watching you!

Richard, it has been disappointing to see the demise of the Free Church over the years; but I am thankful to see them taking their responsibility as a church seriously in this regard, and exercising oversight as to what is presented to the public in the name of their denomination.

While I don't like the atmosphere of the rules...I also understand if there have been problems. They may not have an issue with someone posting a contrary view, it may be how the person does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back