A Man Called Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.
Not to mention that something "miraculous" took place while the movie was being filmed! I believe that story is found in Catherine Marshall's book "To Live Again"

One of my favourite movies. Peter Marshall was a unique preacher. His style was vastly different from most of what folks are used to hearing today. He is one of my favourite preachers. I have several collections of his sermons. I cannot recall any aberrant theology in his work.

One of my favourite movies. Peter Marshall was a unique preacher. His style was vastly different from most of what folks are used to hearing today. He is one of my favourite preachers. I have several collections of his sermons. I cannot recall any aberrant theology in his work.

Excellent! I'll be watching the film then.
How was his style different?

He was a master at crafting word pictures. He was much more 'parabolic' in his preaching. His use of language was almost poetic. His friends called him 'twittering birds' Marshall because of the colour which he used in his preaching. Had I the time I would type in a segment of one of his sermons. He had a unique style of typing up his manuscripts as well.

As a student of homiletics, I've wondered why this eloquent man isn't referred to more often in works.

We were just talking about Peter Marshall at church yesterday. Enjoyed the movie also have the book and a few books by his wife. My former pastor was saved while reading A Man Called Peter.

I think his son is on the web some where.

I read some of his wife's writing years ago and got the impression she at least was quite liberal in thinking. I think she talked about Norman Vincent Peale as a great chum of theirs, and I thought that was a bad sign. My knowledge was shaky at best though - maybe Peale unbeknownst to me was a great reformed preacher

Oh I dont think so Jenny! Peale was very liberal and much into the 'power of positive thinking'. Your first impression was more accurate.
I did enjoy A Man Called Peter and also some of Catherine Marshall's writing but all that was before I knew the doctrines of grace! Not just my life but my whole bookcase was totally overhauled in coming to understand more of God's sovereignty in all things! I took boxes of books to the used book store after reading The Sovereignty of God by Pink!

I was partly tongue in cheek saying that - not that I've read him, but I was fairly sure he was no Calvinist!
But I'm also fairly sure the Marshalls were intimate with him. How safe is it I wonder to judge someone's orthodoxy by their friends and associates? I think I do it all the time - life being too short always to sift a person's own words before deciding how trustworthy their opinions are likely to be. I also judge writers by their publishers

You are right in saying that Catherine Marshall's views are a bit 'off'. That seems to have really sped up after the death of her husband. When I said above that Marshall's sermons were different, they are. They are not theological treatises. As such, it is not possible to put together a systematic theology by them. I am not a Peter Marshall expert, but in the sermons that I have read and heard he holds a very high view of God's holiness, stresses the fallen nature of man, and the necessity of redemption by grace alone.

It may not be so accurate but my mom always said 'you're known by the company you keep'!
But then we know Christ was a friend of sinners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back