"A Matchless and Everlasting Wonder"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
I have been wanting to get my hands on Andrew Gray's works for some time now. My copy arrived last night. I am only two pages in and am in awe at the beauty of his words. Here is a sample taken from "A Puritan's Mind:"

"What (suppose ye) were poor Adam’s thoughts, when at the first doctrine of free-grace, and of a crucified Christ Jesus a Saviour, was preached unto him in paradise? What a divine surprisal was this, that heaven should have preached peace to earth, after that earth had proclaimed war against heaven Was not this a low step of condescendency, to behold an offended God preaching peace and good-will to a guilty sinner? What could self-destroying Adam think of these morning and first discoveries of this everlasting covenant? Christ, as it were, in the morning of time, giving vent to that infinite Love, which was resting in his bosom and precious heart, before the foundation of the world was laid. We know not whether the infiniteness of his love, the eternity of his love, or the freedom of it, maketh up the greatest wonder; but sure, these three joined together, make up a matchless and everlasting wonder.

Would any of you ask the question, what is Christ worth? We could give no answer so suitable as this, it is above all the arithmetic of all the angels in heaven, and all the men on earth, to calculate his worth; all men here must be put to a divine nonplus: This was Job’s divinity, Job 28:13. Man knoweth not the price of freedom. And must not Jesus Christ who is the precious object of faith, and wisdom of the Father, be a super-eminent and excellent One, who hath that name of King of kings, and Lord of lords, not only engraven on his vesture, (which pointeth out the conspicuouness of his majesty) but even also upon his thigh, to point out, that in all his goings and motions, he proveth himself to be higher than the kings of the earth ?"
- Andrew Gray "The Mystery of Faith Opened Up" sermon 1, page 18 in my copy by Soli Deo Gloria.

A beautiful meditation that I hope brings some joy to your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back