A new and revised edition of John Flavel's collected works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
I came across this in my search for John Flavel's works and information on them. I apologize in advance if this is common knowledge or has already been posted. Here is an excerpt about the project:

"The Project

The current six-volume edition of Flavel's Works (W. Baynes and Son, 1820; rpt. The Banner of Truth Trust, 1968) has faithfully served generations of believers and has remained a strong favorite of Puritan literature. However, it contains antiquated punctuation, typographical errors, content errors, and was based on eighteenth-century rather than seventeenth-century documents. These later editions of Flavel's Works have even inserted errors into the text where Flavel originally had them correct. It is time for a new complete edition of Flavel's Works.

In the spring of 2013, I approached The Banner of Truth Trust with a proposal to produce and edit a completely new edition of Flavel's Works based on the original documents. After months of deliberation and narrowing our focus, the agreement was made, and the task began. I asked two other Flavel scholars to help with this enormous project, Nathan Parker and Cliff Boone, and they provided invaluable assistance, especially with tracking down the roughly thirty-five individual treatises and works that were published in the later 1600s. I also assembled an Advisory Board to guide me in the project, which includes noted Puritan scholars Joel Beeke, Derek Thomas, Gerald Bray, John Coffey, Stephen Yuille, and Adam Embry.

The project is currently underway without an exact publication date (but expect it sometime late 2020 or early 2021). As you might imagine, the work is rather tedious and involves careful attention to detail. And yet, the content makes my soul soar! My prayer is that this new edition of Flavel's Works will provide many generations of believers spiritually-rich, Christ-exalting literature to spur affections for our Lord and King, Jesus Christ.

Dr. Brian H. Cosby serves as senior pastor of Wayside Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Signal Mountain, Tennessee, visiting professor at Reformed Theological Seminary, Atlanta, and author of over a dozen books, including John Flavel: Puritan Life and Thought in Stuart England."
http://www.reformation21.org/blog/2018/08/the-works-of-John-Flavel-a-new.php

This is bittersweet as I have been wanting to get this set for my library and start reading them in 2019. I finally found an immaculate set for cheap but now I am thinking I should hold off until 2020-2021 when this revised set comes out. If anyone wants to sell their set to save up for this new set, let me know. :D

Deo Volente,
Robert

Last edited:
I hope it is done in a quality worthy of a critical edition (which this sounds like). This needs doing for most of the puritan sets done in the 19th century. I've done something similar if on smaller scale (but huge for a one man band) with most of Durham's works.

I hope it is done in a quality worthy of a critical edition (which this sounds like). This needs doing for most of the puritan sets done in the 19th century. I've done something similar if on smaller scale (but huge for a one man band) with most of Durham's works.
I greatly appreciate your efforts on Durham's works. Things like this make me anxious when considering how many errors may be hiding in all of those Puritan works sitting on my bookshelves. This has been a fear of mine and I suppose it wasn't in vain. Although, I think I read somewhere that the collected works of Sibbes published by the Banner is pretty reliable.

Thanks; yes, it is a late realization of mine also. I think it was Dr. Trueman who just a few years ago wrote that Goodwin's works by Goold (do I have that right); the 12 vol Nichols set, was awful and there is a must for scholars at least to use the old first or early editions.

Thanks; yes, it is a late realization of mine also. I think it was Dr. Trueman who just a few years ago wrote that Goodwin's works by Goold (do I have that right); the 12 vol Nichols set, was awful and there is a must for scholars at least to use the old first or early editions.

If memory serves me correctly, Mark Jones posted something to this effect on his old blog 10+ years ago.

Things like this make me anxious when considering how many errors may be hiding in all of those Puritan works sitting on my bookshelves. This has been a fear of mine and I suppose it wasn't in vain.

There probably are not too many errors to worry about. Besides, since so many original writings are on archive.org or Google Books, you can always double check them pretty easily.

@NaphtaliPress, the post to which I referred above may be found here.

@Reformed Bookworm, now that you mention it, I recall seeing something in Ezekiel Hopkins' work on the Ten Commandments that I had originally consulted in a 19th-century edition, but when I looked for it in the 17th-century original, I could not find it. While I do not want to encourage corrosive cynicism with respect to later reprints, perhaps it is necessary to do a brief background check on later editions to see if anyone has flagged up issues of reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back