A New Beginning, A New Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about, Bunyan Memorial Baptist Church of Poplar Grove? A little more Baptist than All Souls Immersionist, though that has a nice ring to it as well.

Harmony Baptist (oops, sorry, that one is oxymoronic)

Careful with that one. It's the name of the church of one of our PB members!

I know. That was the point . . . to tease Randy.

Or, you could just do what some of the congregations do in my BAPTIST fellowship do. These are just a few of our congregations in the Southwest(actual names!!!) . . .

Ivan, I was serious! Those are just a few of the weird (some of them anyway) names of the BAPTIST churches in my group here in So. Cal. One of them runs 6,000-7,000 weekly and several of the others are congregations large enough to have several full time pastors!

How about, Bunyan Memorial Baptist Church of Poplar Grove? A little more Baptist than All Souls Immersionist, though that has a nice ring to it as well.

Spurgeon Memorial, Bunyan Memorial, Gill Memorial....but why?

Frankly, I kinda like what Randy suggested...Christ Community (or Baptist) Church, but it's not quite there, not quite fulfilling our goal...I think.

Here is what the name change is to accomplish:

1. Reflect the change of the perspective and goal of the church.*

2. Attempt to overcome the negative outlook of the community toward the church.

3. Look to a new beginning as we build our first building and move to the new location.

*The change in perspective and goal is that we have went from a charismatic, man-centered worshipping church to a church that preaches the gospel, evangelizes the lost and equips the saints. Our focus is on Christ and the Word. We want to glorify God in all that we do. I could go on, but I think you catch my drift.

Ahhh...got it!

Or, you could just do what some of the congregations do in my BAPTIST fellowship do. These are just a few of our congregations in the Southwest(actual names!!!) . . .

Ivan, I was serious! Those are just a few of the weird (some of them anyway) names of the BAPTIST churches in my group here in So. Cal. One of them runs 6,000-7,000 weekly and several of the others are congregations large enough to have several full time pastors!

I know you're serious. And I'm serious when I say that my fellow pastor has some really weird and outlandish names. However, he's the only one that likes the names he's coming up with! :lol: Club Elect....PLEASE!!

You might not believe this, but this is a Majority Text Church with Fundamentalist tendencies. Liberty is the University they send kids to.

But these guys are the most kind and gentle guys I have ever met. In fact they don't wear this stuff on their sleeves. And I can even discuss things with the Pastor whom I have known since he was a teen. He is about ten years younger than I am. This church started in my Dad's house. My Dad is a big fan of Johnny Mac. So I always had trouble putting the two together but it is a church that does seek to live harmoniously.

Harmony Baptist is a good name for the church I attend.

BTW, I liked the Bunyan Memorial idea. I found out about John Knox some 25 years ago because a church in my home town is named John Knox Presbyterian. It is a PCUSA church though. Maybe Bunyan Memorial will make people inquire.

There is also a Lutheran Church on the Northside here called Christ the King. I always liked that title. And I like Christ's Church also. But that looks more like an Anglican church's name.

BTW, I liked the Bunyan Memorial idea. Maybe Bunyan Memorial will make people inquire.

It's not a bad idea at all. I think Bunyan would be more palatable to the members. You have the whole Pilgrim's Progress thing.

I know that there are a few (or maybe just one) Truett Memorial and maybe a Carrol Memorial too. I'll have to look it up. I wonder if there is a Criswell Memorial?

There is also a Lutheran Church on the Northside here called Christ the King. I always liked that title. And I like Christ's Church also. But that looks more like an Anglican church's name.

Wow, Randy! I keep finding your posts after I've responded to one of your other posts.

I like having the name of our LORD and Saviour in our church's name. Quite appropriate, don't you think? As to Christ's Church sounding too Anglican, well...don't let anyone know that even I go by the alias of Bubba I am a bit high church, but let's not get into that.

Of course, Christ's Church could get confused with Church of Christ.

First Reformed Baptist Church of Poplar Grove; as you are reforming and renewing the minds of the saints..

Here is what the name change is to accomplish:

1. Reflect the change of the perspective and goal of the church.*

2. Attempt to overcome the negative outlook of the community toward the church.

3. Look to a new beginning as we build our first building and move to the new location.

Hmmmmmmmm. Tall order. :think:
No Longer Swinging From the Rafters, Bible Teaching, Five Solas, Community Church Where Everybody Knows Your Name.

BTW, I liked the Bunyan Memorial idea. Maybe Bunyan Memorial will make people inquire.

It's not a bad idea at all. I think Bunyan would be more palatable to the members. You have the whole Pilgrim's Progress thing.

I know that there are a few (or maybe just one) Truett Memorial and maybe a Carrol Memorial too. I'll have to look it up. I wonder if there is a Criswell Memorial?

uhhh...Memorial sounds like a funeral home...:)

Last edited:
You could always name it for the street it is on, assuming it is a good named street / ave / etc.

uhhh...Memorial sounds like a funeral home...:)

Yeah...might end up Ivan Schoen Memorial Baptist Church!!

You could always name it for the street it is on, assuming it is a good named street / ave / etc.

We're on IL State Route 173 but technically we are on West Grove Street. I don't think anyone really knows it as West Grove.

I know a name I bet has NEVER been used for a Baptist Church before. "IMMACULATE CONCEPTION BAPTIST". HEY! You put that name on the building , I promise, people will at least slow down.:rofl:

Living Waters is a program associated with Exodus International. I wouldn't use it, it may even be copywrited.

Dunkard Baptist Church :) The name explains the method of baptisim, or Reformed Dunkard Church.

Yeah, that would go good with coffee. Do you think Dunkin Donuts would donate weekly or would you have to buy them yourself?:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back