A new word needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
I think the time has come to introduce a new word into English usage. It seems to me that we need an active verb for the semantic range of "to be ignorant or uninformed." In Greek, Latin, and Spanish I can say that I do not know in the active voice without any helping verbs. But in English my only option is the now archaic usage of ignore.

Hence I propose that we begin to use a new coinage: necognize.

If someone says, "Why do so many people buy Apple products?" you can answer, "I necognize." Instead of "I don't want you to be ignorant" or "I don't want you not to know" you can simply say, "I don't want you to necognize."

Nah. How about stoopidize?

As in "I don't want you to be stoopidizing."

:lol:

I know all about nescience! I'm seeking to avoid the supplementary verb.

I think you will have to choose a prefix to the verb "to know", because all those other latin-based verbs practically demand an auxiliary verb.

Maybe, for the willfully uninformed, you could used "cataknow", although that probably already overlaps "ignore."

For the circumstantially uniformed, maybe go with "igknow" simply because it sounds better than "inknow."

Other than that, I am close to becoming stupefied and certainly am at risk of being stoopidized.

I think you will have to choose a prefix to the verb "to know", because all those other latin-based verbs practically demand an auxiliary verb.

Unless we all commit to using necognize properly every single day until it makes it into the OED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back