A Parting Shot - Finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
When the German poet, Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) died, he stipulated in his will that his widow would inherit his entire estate, but only on the condition that she re-marry. "Then there will be at least one man to regret my death."

Well done.

Why is a man's contempt of his wife and spite for her in his death thought by you as worthy of commendation?

Dude. You should go down to Lowe's and get your sense of humor sharpened.

Not only does it demonstrate that Heine was a sinner, just like the rest of us, but his remark puts paid to the notion that Germans don't have a sense of humor (although it wasn't on display much from 1870 to 1945).

Dude. You should go down to Lowe's and get your sense of humor sharpened.
Brother, you'll forgive me if I think it is your sense of humor that needs to be, not sharpened, but sanctified. But I just can't see my way clear to laugh at a marriage so miserable that the husband wishes to memorialize the awfulness of it in his will. Perhaps that touches home to you. But to me, it's just sad.

Last edited:
Brother, you'll forgive me if I think it is your sense of humor that needs to be, not sharpened, but sanctified. But I just can't see my way clear to laugh at a marriage so miserable that the husband wishes to memorialize the awfulness of it in his will. Perhaps that touches home to you. But to me, it's just sad.
Instead of picking on poor Heine, maybe you should mourn that his life was made bitter by a shrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back