A prescient quotation from Luther

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
I found this in Luther's A Letter to the Christian Nobility of the German Nation.

"For the universities ought to turn out only men who know the Holy Scriptures, who can become bishops and priests, leaders in the fight against heretics, the devil and all the world. But where do you find this true? I greatly fear that the universities are wide gates of hell, if they do not diligently teach the Holy Scriptures and impress them on the youth."

I wonder what he would say about today's universities?

Last edited:
I found this in Luther's A Letter to the Christian Nobility of the German Nation.

"For the universities ought to turn out only men who know the Holy Scriptures, who can become bishops and priests, leaders in the fight against heretics, the devil and all the world. But where do you find this true? I greatly fear that the universities are wide gates of hell, if they do not diligently teach the Holy Scriptures and impress them on the youth."

I wonder what he would say about today's universities?

That tract is my favorite Luther work. I know everyone likes Bondage of the Will, but this tract, and his one on the sacraments, are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back