A problem when copying and pasting from PDFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Here is a question that some of you may be able to answer. I was previously reading through a PDF file on Google Books on an old periodical that was printed in double columns. Previously, it had allowed me to copy and paste from one of the columns without slipping over into the other column. However, when I tried to do so recently, it started copying from both columns instead of the one which I wanted to copy the text. Does anyone here know how to fix this problem and just be able to copy from one column at a time?

I don't; but it sounds like a bad scan job on Google's end. Maybe the scan didn't properly recognize two columns for that particular page or book?

I don't; but it sounds like a bad scan job on Google's end. Maybe the scan didn't properly recognize two columns for that particular page or book?

Ironically, it was working perfectly well when I used it previously. But now they seem to have uploaded a different file when you hit the view in PDF option.

I do not like Google's new book platform and revert to the old one as soon as I find the link. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Ironically, it was working perfectly well when I used it previously. But now they seem to have uploaded a different file when you hit the view in PDF option.

Are you sure it's the exact same book scan you used before? GB often has several editions of the same book each with individual scans, which can differ significantly in format. If you can provide a link to the book you're referring to I'd be glad to take a look.

Sorry, I can't come up with any other PDF options either. Weird if the scan was recently changed - but wouldn't be the first time a Google update wasn't really an improvement or useful progress...

Not from a PDF, but I used their snipping tool and randomly cut this from page 81:

measure of all the graces in the soul It is with equal propriety joy is placed immediately after it for as soon as the love of God is shed abroad in heart by the Holy Ghost a sensation of joy naturally accompanies it This arises out of the views and feelings and prospects which then enter into the mind And the grace of God is very conspicuous in thus causing the spirit of commonly to be experienced at the beginning of the divine life for by this means the mind is reconciled to its new course and prepared for the trials and temptations and difficulties that speedily ensue In dwelling for a little on the grace of joy we shall inquire into the nature ground and benefits of it

I could run it through a word processor and save it as a PDF. It does come out really messy in plain text and I would guess PDF would do the same. Snip and paste might be the best bet.

Not from a PDF, but I used their snipping tool and randomly cut this from page 81:

measure of all the graces in the soul It is with equal propriety joy is placed immediately after it for as soon as the love of God is shed abroad in heart by the Holy Ghost a sensation of joy naturally accompanies it This arises out of the views and feelings and prospects which then enter into the mind And the grace of God is very conspicuous in thus causing the spirit of commonly to be experienced at the beginning of the divine life for by this means the mind is reconciled to its new course and prepared for the trials and temptations and difficulties that speedily ensue In dwelling for a little on the grace of joy we shall inquire into the nature ground and benefits of it

I could run it through a word processor and save it as a PDF. It does come out really messy in plain text and I would guess PDF would do the same. Snip and paste might be the best bet.

Well spotted, Edward. The only thing to watch out for with this option is that it drops the punctuation. Other than that, it works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back