A Puritan Christmas Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
David, comparing scripture with scripture, I think it is pretty clear what Paul is talking about in Col. He does go to mention some other things but feasts, new moons, and sabbaths, being the Jews regular ceremonial days, is clear.

I see what you're saying. In my previous post I was wondering how you account for Paul's difference in tone. In Colossians he forbids them to let anyone pass judgment on their observance, but in Galatians he seems much more pessimistic. How do you interpret this?

And while I agree with you that Paul is clearly including Jewish observance in his list, I am merely saying that I don't see the argument as limited to that.

His difference in tone could be his audience. Maybe he had gotten farther with the Galatian congregation and the Colossian congregation was just learning this truth? There had to be some type of transition though for Jews who had kept these ceremonies for generations, to realizing that they were mere shadows that pointed to Christ.

I can accept that explanation in general, but the statement originally quoted doesn't sound entirely like the explanation.

I think that my explanation is consistent with what Prynne said. He was not advocating some new holiday observance, based on Mencken-style Puritanism, like Festivus, with its "airing of grievances," but rather lamenting the evil done at this time of year, when it ought to be a day like any other.

You're probably right. I'm guessing you've seen the quote in context, which I haven't, so I'll defer on that score. The phrase taken by itself, however, sound a little contrarian. I say that as someone who never refuses a paid day off of work, but whose happiest Christmas memories are of the year when nothing could have told you it wasn't December 12th.

I love celebrating Christmas with my family... It's the most wonderful time of the year!

used to be for me at one time, now I got 52 most wonderful days of the year, a glorious exchange indeed!

I like em all. All 365. All designated one way or another. Tribulation and hard times make them a bit more uncomfortable though. And I know other people who try to make days more uncomfortable. But My God has promised to never forsake me thus making every day a bit better than it would be without him.

I will be reminded of and give thanks for the incarnation of Christ tomorrow.

Merry Christmas.

We serve a God who turns evil into good --

I went to my company's Christmas party and had a couple of beers. A co-worker said, "Matthew! You drink beer?! I thought you went to church!," to which I replied, "Its not a sin to drink beer, its a sin to be drunk and foolish."

Ten minutes later she mentioned the Big Dipper in the clear sky, and I pointed to Orion. She exclaimed, "Orion's belt!" I asked, "Can you loose Orion's belt?" "What?," she said. "Can you loose Orion's belt as if it were your own?" "Well, no... Wow! Who are you?"

It was a brilliant moment wherein I saw first hand a quote I hear often played out: How often must a man look up before he sees the sky?

Perhaps by walking in the Spirit we would not be so frightful of our dim understanding of God's commands (especially on holidays when Satan loves to rouse up the church in fear and confusion), and perhaps by simply trusting God we should see ourselves fulfilling his commands out of love for Him and our neighbor.

Grace is not limited to our understanding the times and seasons in God's calendar. Christmas is a part of society for a reason, use it for good don't neglect it out of fear.

:2cents:

David, comparing scripture with scripture, I think it is pretty clear what Paul is talking about in Col. He does go to mention some other things but feasts, new moons, and sabbaths, being the Jews regular ceremonial days, is clear.

Colossians 2
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

1 Chronicles 23:31
And to offer all burnt sacrifices unto the LORD in the sabbaths, in the new moons, and on the set feasts, by number, according to the order commanded unto them, continually before the LORD

2 Chronicles 2:4
Behold, I build an house to the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to him, and to burn before him sweet incense, and for the continual shewbread, and for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts of the LORD our God. This is an ordinance for ever to Israel.

2 Chronicles 8:13
Even after a certain rate every day, offering according to the commandment of Moses, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts, three times in the year, even in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles.

Nehemiah 10:33
For the shewbread, and for the continual meat offering, and for the continual burnt offering, of the sabbaths, of the new moons, for the set feasts, and for the holy things, and for the sin offerings to make an atonement for Israel, and for all the work of the house of our God.

Ezekiel 45:17
And it shall be the prince's part to give burnt offerings, and meat offerings, and drink offerings, in the feasts, and in the new moons, and in the sabbaths, in all solemnities of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel.

I think what David is getting at is that Paul is jumping to a general principal that includes the error of the Judaizers (the passage I believe he is referring to is Romans 14:4-6, not Colossians). Even though the context of Galations is also the heresy of the Judaizers it is still absolutely applicable to any works based salvation (Calvin used it to attack popery). Likewise this text also jumps to a principal; don't judge anyone for observing or not observing holy days. This goes for those who are for or against celebrating the nativity in my opinion.

Last edited:
This debate happens every year....
I think Christmas counts as a cultural holiday in the very least. So long as you don't bind it on the conscience of the Church as a matter of worship, I see no problem with it. I can't think of any reason why celebrating the Incarnation can be a bad thing. I've had several opportunities this month to teach my children the gospel, and why God became a man, just because Christmas provoked the questions. Whether you approve of the holiday or not, as a missionary to your own culture, you can use it to share the gospel. :2cents:

This debate happens every year....
I think Christmas counts as a cultural holiday in the very least. So long as you don't bind it on the conscience of the Church as a matter of worship, I see no problem with it. I can't think of any reason why celebrating the Incarnation can be a bad thing. I've had several opportunities this month to teach my children the gospel, and why God became a man, just because Christmas provoked the questions. Whether you approve of the holiday or not, as a missionary to your own culture, you can use it to share the gospel. :2cents:

:amen:

This is an excellent book, for it shows the problems of not respecting Christ's incarnation. People at the time were using the holiday as an opportunity for carousing, drinking, gambling, and licentious behavior, rather than remembering the reason for the season. Even churches were used uncleanly, he says. Thus he mourns for Christmas, the holiday on the incarnation that was lost to carnality.

Stubbs makes the Reformed and Puritan position clear. Nowhere does he take the Anabaptist position that Christmas is a Judaized or Romish feast. He says on page 174:

The true celebration of the feast of Christmas is to meditate (and as it were, to ruminate) upon the incarnation and birth of Jesus Christ, not only that time, but all the times and days of our life, and to show our fellows thankful to his Majesty for the same. Notwithstanding, who is ignorant that more mischiefs is that time committed than in all the years before? What masquing and mumming whereby robbery, whoredom, murder, and what not is committed! What dicing and carding, what eating and drinking...

Does it sound like things were worse then than today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back