A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life ...Cheapest price I have found

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
This is the cheapest I have seen the book listed for. 30 dollars plus 5 dollars for shipping. What a deal! Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals > A Puritan Theology Doctrine For Life

bbee31200.jpg
[h=3]A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life[/h]Author: Joel Beeke and Mark Jones

This new work offers a groundbreaking treatment of the Puritans' teaching on most major Reformed doctrines, particularly those doctrines in which the Puritans made significant contributions. The book addresses Puritan teachings on all six loci of theology, covering fifty areas of doctrine. It explores Puritan teachings on biblical interpretation, God, predestination, providence, angels, sin, the covenants, the gospel, Christ, preparation for conversion, regeneration, coming to Christ, justification, adoption, church government, the Sabbath, preaching, baptism, heaven, hell, and many other topics. It ends with eight chapters that explore Puritan "theology in practice." Some chapters highlight the work of a specific theologian on a specific topic. Other chapters survey various authors on a particular subject. The goal of A Puritan Theology is to increase knowledge in the mind and godliness in the soul.

Last edited:
I am asking for this for my Birthday. It looks like such a wonderful resource, especially for those of us who are new to Reformed Theology.

I just ordered mine last night and cannot wait to get it! It is my birthday gift from my wife, pretty sweet!!

I did not even know this book existed. :)

Going to have to hold off right now, but will be ordering in due time.

Yes I am drooling now. "It explores Puritan teachings on biblical interpretation, God, predestination, providence, angels, sin, the covenants, the gospel, Christ, preparation for conversion, regeneration, coming to Christ, justification, adoption, church government, the Sabbath, preaching, baptism, heaven, hell, and many other topics" Wonder what the "many other topics" are. Seems like that list pretty much covers it.:gpl:

Yes I am drooling now. "It explores Puritan teachings on biblical interpretation, God, predestination, providence, angels, sin, the covenants, the gospel, Christ, preparation for conversion, regeneration, coming to Christ, justification, adoption, church government, the Sabbath, preaching, baptism, heaven, hell, and many other topics" Wonder what the "many other topics" are. Seems like that list pretty much covers it.:gpl:

...and at 1200 pages it would seem to! :)

Here is a table of contents.

Introduction

Prolegomena
1. The Puritans on Natural and Supernatural Theology
2. Puritan Hermeneutics and Exegesis
3. The Learned Doctor William Ames and The Marrow of Theology
Theology Proper
4. Stephen Charnock on the Attributes of God
5. The Puritans on the Trinity
6. John Owen on Communion with the Triune God
7. William Perkins on Predestination
8. Thomas Goodwin and Johannes Maccovius on Justification from Eternity
9. Thomas Goodwin’s Christological Supralapsarianism
10. The Puritans on Providence
11. The Puritans on Angels
12. The Puritans on Demons
Anthropology and Covenant Theology
13. The Puritans on the Sinfulness of Sin
14. The Puritans on the Covenant of Works
15. The Puritans on the Covenant of Redemption
16. The Puritans on the Covenant of Grace
17. The Puritans on the Old and New Covenants: A Gracious Moses?
18. The Minority Report: John Owen on Sinai
19. The Puritans on Covenant Conditions
Christology
20. The Puritans on Law and Gospel
21. Puritan Christology
22. The Puritans on Christ’s Offices and States
23. The Blood of Christ in Puritan Piety
24. Anthony Burgess on Christ’s Intercession for Us
25. Thomas Goodwin on Christ’s Beautiful Heart
26. The Puritans on Understanding and Using God’s Promises
Soteriology
27. Puritan Preparatory Grace
28. The Puritans on Regeneration
29. The Puritans on Union with Christ, Justification, and Regeneration
30. John Owen on Justification by Faith Alone
31. The Puritans on Coming to Christ
32. The Puritans on Living in Christ
33. The Puritans on Adoption
34. The Third Use of the Law
35. Richard Sibbes on Entertaining the Holy Spirit
36. William Perkins and His Greatest Case of Conscience
37. The Puritans on Perseverance of the Saints
Ecclesiology
38. The Puritans on the Government of the Church
39. The Puritans on the Offices of the Church
40. John Owen on the Christian Sabbath and Worship
41. Puritan Preaching (1)
42. Puritan Preaching (2)
43. John Bunyan’s Preaching to the Heart
44. The Puritans and Paedobaptism
45. The Puritans on the Lord’s Supper
46. Puritan Prayers for World Missions
Eschatology
47. “The City on a Hill”: The American Puritans’ Optimistic View of the End Times
48. Thomas Manton on the Judgment According to Works
49. How History Informs the Historicist: Thomas Goodwin’s Reading of Revelation
50. Christopher Love on the Glories of Heaven and Terrors of Hell
Theology in Practice
51. Puritan Theology Shaped by a Pilgrim Mentality
52. The Puritans on Walking Godly in the Home
53. Matthew Henry on a Practical Method of Daily Prayer
54. The Puritan Practice of Meditation
55. The Puritans on Conscience
56. Puritan Casuistry
57. Puritan Sacrificial Zeal
58. Practical Lessons from Puritan Theology Today
Afterword
59. A Final Word

I think this book will provide a phenomenal backdrop to the theology of the Westminster Standards. We (by we I include "me") often read clauses assuming we know what they mean but don't realize there is much more behind the words we read.

My order will be here soon but apparently it is not available until 10/15 but I have a question in the meantime. Will this book cover the federal headship in any capacity? I am wondering if I will need to get a different book or if this will cover this topic. Thanks for any input you can provide.

I was thrilled to see that death has not stopped J.I. Packer from writing forwards and endorsements. That guy is amazing!

I narrate books from the Kindle, but for reading I wanted to have the hard copy. I needed to see lots of illustrations. By the way, there are pictures of puritans on Sermon Audio that are in error. No pictures of these puritans exist,
Joseph Alleine, Thomas Brooks, and William Gurnall. I am a mailman, and I think that the common picture of Thomas Goodwin is fitting for the bulletin board as one walks into the Post Office. I wanted to see what Beeke wrote, in this book,
on puritans and preparatory grace. I understand that Steven Dilday translated some William Ames from Latin to be included here. I am interested in any new light on this. I gave Dr. Beeke a 60 page paper I wrote on it, but he is
too busy to read these things, I think. I was told he is co-writing another book with Paul Smalley about this subject since this was Smalley's Master's dissertation at Puritan.

Welcome to the board Mr. Sullivan. Please click on the link in my signature and fix your signature accordingly per board rules. Thanks very much.

He's alive!!! I seriously thought he died. Who am I thinking of then? This is weird. Don't tell JI that I said he was dead... he won't write the forward to my book.

IT WAS STOTT! I get my Anglicans mixed up. Sorry James, it was Stott and wow, it's been over a year already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back