A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life ...Cheapest price I have found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo hoo, mine came it today!!!!! Now I have a true dilemma: I am about half way through reading a borrowed copy of "What is Reformed Theology" by R.C. Sproul but now have my copy of "A Puritan Theology" and wondered if I decided to stop reading the first one would I get everything and more from the second? My wife wants me to finish Sproul's but I have been drooling and dying for "A Puritan Theology" and only want to switch if I am gaining all the content/knowledge of Sproul's and more with the Puritan book. Can you all give me some feedback? I know I will be a few more weeks with Sproul's and not even sure I can hold off any longer!! :think:

Here the temptation to hagiography that avoids critical treatments or pesky discussions of historical development is great.

Fair enough. If I thought that someone misquoted/misinterpreted me, I'd want to set the record straight too.

However, what is the purpose of the book? Beeke, a professional trained historical theologian (PhD Westminster in Reformation and Post-Reformation Theology) has the ability to nuance all of the historical development that he wants to, if he were writing a thousand pages on one or two Puritans. However, it seems that part of his mission has been exposing contemporary readers to the Puritans. One might just as accurately complain that his "Meet the Puritans" fails to offer the kinds of critical evaluation found in full-scale biographies or critical considerations of a single author when the sketches are only a few pages per author.

The most restrictive definitions of the Puritan period are a century long and include hundreds of authors. 1,000+ pgs would hardly be sufficient to satisfy the demands of "critical treatments or pesky discussions of historical development ." I am grateful for the enormous service that Beeke performs for the Body of Christ in doing what he does so well.

And, considering the name of this board, I doubt that many of us are too worried about complaints of hagiographa of the Puritan period! We are a bunch of geeks who LOVE the puritans! Can you imagine the PB recast as "A Critical Examination of English Theologians from the Time of the Accession of Elizabeth I to the English Restoration of 1660 with Special Reference to Factors of Historical Development and Socio-Political Implications of Erastian Influences at the Westminster Assembly on the Beheading of King Charles I"???

Give me a break! Beeke has done the church a great blessing by pulling all of this stuff together. If I want a critical examination, there are plenty of unread PhD dissertations gathering dust on some library shelf. :lol:

[BTW - my copy came last week. $30]

I am up to Chapter 5 and Beeke and Jones do not shy away from being critical and nuanced when necessary. I think Rev. Dr. Jones has said he doesn't like Thomas Goodwin's commentary on Revelation in each chapter he has written so far. :)

""A Critical Examination of English Theologians from the Time of the Accession of Elizabeth I to the English Restoration of 1660 with Special Reference to Factors of Historical Development and Socio-Political Implications of Erastian Influences at the Westminster Assembly on the Beheading of King Charles I" - has a certain ring to it - but I don't think I could cope with putting it in the search box every evening.

Still waiting - think they must be rowing into a strong headwind.

I received my book today.

As I glance over it, it would be nice to know who wrote (co-wrote) each chapter...

For chapters 3,10,26,37,44,56 Dr. Beeke had a co-author; for chapters 8,27,29,39,41,45,51 Dr. Jones had a co-author. The co-authors names can be found on pp.xiii and xiv. I suspect the style of the chapters should make them fairly easy to distinguish. Apart from the ones already mentioned, I can tell you that Dr. Jones authored chapters 1,2,4,5,9,13-22,40,41,49.

I am up through Chapter 15 and if you have read anything by Dr. Beeke it is obvious which one's are his and if you know Dr. Jones did his Ph.D. on Thomas Goodwin you can tell which ones are his. :)

Woo hoo, mine came it today!!!!! Now I have a true dilemma: I am about half way through reading a borrowed copy of "What is Reformed Theology" by R.C. Sproul but now have my copy of "A Puritan Theology" and wondered if I decided to stop reading the first one would I get everything and more from the second? My wife wants me to finish Sproul's but I have been drooling and dying for "A Puritan Theology" and only want to switch if I am gaining all the content/knowledge of Sproul's and more with the Puritan book. Can you all give me some feedback? I know I will be a few more weeks with Sproul's and not even sure I can hold off any longer!!
Finish Sproul.

Woo hoo, mine came it today!!!!! Now I have a true dilemma: I am about half way through reading a borrowed copy of "What is Reformed Theology" by R.C. Sproul but now have my copy of "A Puritan Theology" and wondered if I decided to stop reading the first one would I get everything and more from the second? My wife wants me to finish Sproul's but I have been drooling and dying for "A Puritan Theology" and only want to switch if I am gaining all the content/knowledge of Sproul's and more with the Puritan book. Can you all give me some feedback? I know I will be a few more weeks with Sproul's and not even sure I can hold off any longer!!
Finish Sproul.

Thank you both for the input and I want to finish it as well as soon as possible.

Amazon now saying mid December, if at all. First you throw our tea into Boston harbour - now a citizen of the USA is reading my long ordered book.

Starting to think the "special relationship" is somewhat over rated!

Last edited:
After all that - it arrived today. Managed to avoid unwrapping it for eight hours at work - disadvantage of being the boss is not having anyone to tell me to work!

Picked up my copy several weeks ago for thirty dollars at the Greenville Seminary bookstore.

Not sure what they would charge for shipping but they have several left if you are interested.

After all that - it arrived today. Managed to avoid unwrapping it for eight hours at work - disadvantage of being the boss is not having anyone to tell me to work!

Congratulations, Ken! I think you'll like the chapter on Charnock's doctrine of God.

Thanks for the update on the kindle sale. Just bought it. Although I really should finish reading the other 5 books I am reading right now! Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back