A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life ...Cheapest price I have found

Status
Not open for further replies.
So even though my parents ordered this to be shipped to them in their name, somehow it was shipped in my name and I opened it today. Whoops. Needless to say, I love my accidental early Birthday gift. While reading the acknowledgments I came across a thank you to the PuritanBoard's own Ruben and Heidi!

I think this book will provide a phenomenal backdrop to the theology of the Westminster Standards.

This book, I believe, will go nicely with Dr D.M. Lloyd-Jones 'Great Doctrines of the Bible' [also a Puritan book]. The topics covered in both nicely compliment each other.

He's alive!!! I seriously thought he died. Who am I thinking of then? This is weird. Don't tell JI that I said he was dead... he won't write the forward to my book.

IT WAS STOTT! I get my Anglicans mixed up. Sorry James, it was Stott and wow, it's been over a year already.

And for a second I thought I had validation for my reanimated corpse theory...

I also bought this new volume. Books sales get me every time.

So even though my parents ordered this to be shipped to them in their name, somehow it was shipped in my name and I opened it today. Whoops. Needless to say, I love my accidental early Birthday gift. While reading the acknowledgments I came across a thank you to the PuritanBoard's own Ruben and Heidi!

SWEET, that is very cool!!

It is supposed to come out for kindle, and it should be cheaper in that format.

Do we have further information about a potential Kindle release?

The most recent word from someone working at the heritage reformed books is that it will be available in a few days.

CT

A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life - EBOOK - Reformation Heritage Books

Isn't that a little high $29.99 for an eBook?

The most recent word from someone working at the heritage reformed books is that it will be available in a few days.

CT

Isn't that a little high $29.99 for an eBook?

It is similar to books of its size. Grudem and Horton's systematic texts are the same price.

CT

CT

It doesn't say what format it is. Does that mean it is mobi?

CT

It doesn't say what format it is. Does that mean it is mobi?

How to purchase an ebook. | Heritage Booktalk - I believe one can decide which format during the ordering process.

If it's like other books that I've purchased from Heritage books then you get both the .mobi and the .epub format when you purchase.

If it's like other books that I've purchased from Heritage books then you get both the .mobi and the .epub format when you purchase.

How was the quality of these other e-books, Rich?

You can look up some of their book on amazon to preview their quality in kindle format (the epub should be equivalent). I just looked up David Murray's Christians get depressed too and it was nicely formatted: TOC linked and footnotes clickable.

Personally I would wait for Monergismbook to get the ebook - they sell Reformation heritage titles for substantially less than RHB does.

CT

I purchased the eBook and you can download both the .mobi and.epub formats. It looks great in iBooks with a full TOC.

This book, I believe, will go nicely with Dr D.M. Lloyd-Jones 'Great Doctrines of the Bible' [also a Puritan book].

Not to derail the thread, just a quick question -- I know that MLJ loved the Puritans, but I wasn't aware that his 'Great Doctrines' was a "Puritan book." Not attempting to be nit-picky here but to ask a genuine question: what do you mean by that statement? I'm fascinated...

Now, to pull my comment back on-topic, I am drooling as I look at the Puritan Theology...wow. What a gift to the church! Maybe one will wind up on my desk during Pastor Appreciation month! Ha ha! :)

It is similar to books of its size. Grudem and Horton's systematic texts are the same price.

I only paid $10 for Grudem, $10 for Reymond, and Horton's was purchased for me all hard cover. It just seems like to much for an eBook $29.99. You can't give it away or sell an eBook. The only reason I wanted it in eBook form is due to it would be easier for me to read. I received my copy A Purtain Theology today and it is hard for me to read. Since I'm being reinbursed for buying this book I still might purchase the eBook. But I just can't get over the price. I hate to pay over $10 for an eBook.

Not to derail the thread, just a quick question -- I know that MLJ loved the Puritans, but I wasn't aware that his 'Great Doctrines' was a "Puritan book." Not attempting to be nit-picky here but to ask a genuine question: what do you mean by that statement? I'm fascinated...

Lloyd-Jones did certainly love the Puritans but it can also be said that his theology was Puritan to the core.
The reason I said it was a Puritan book is:
1. The theology in the book 'Great Doctrines' is consistent with the Puritan Westminster Standards
2. The book has much pastoral application within its teaching. Some parts are quite devotional - the balance also in Puritan ministry
3. Lloyd-Jones preaching was in true Puritan style

Perhaps I could rephrase my comment by saying it is very consistent with the theology and 'spirit' of the Puritans.

I think this book will provide a phenomenal backdrop to the theology of the Westminster Standards.

You might be interested to know, Rich, that Dr Jim Renihan (Westminster Seminary, California) said in a lecture in my country that David Dickson's "Truths victory over error" provides the best backdrop to the WCF. Dickson lived at the time of the Westminster Standards and was well acquainted with Samuel Rutherford etc. The book has been recently republished by Banner of Truth.

also waiting... waiting... waiting - I purchased from the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals.

Has anyone that has purchased from them even received an email notification that it has been shipped?

Last edited:

I only paid $10 for Grudem, $10 for Reymond, and Horton's was purchased for me all hard cover. It just seems like to much for an eBook $29.99. You can't give it away or sell an eBook. The only reason I wanted it in eBook form is due to it would be easier for me to read. I received my copy A Purtain Theology today and it is hard for me to read. Since I'm being reinbursed for buying this book I still might purchase the eBook. But I just can't get over the price. I hate to pay over $10 for an eBook.

The ebooks for Grudem and Horton are the same price as the ebook for A Puritan Theology. In the each case, the ebook is a few dollars cheaper than the hardcover. One problem with having the ebook substantially cheaper is that it would cannibalize the sales of the hardcover and make it harder to recover the large upfront costs of the hardcover book. My main point was that the pricing scheme is nothing out of the ordinary.

The ebooks for Grudem and Horton are the same price as the ebook for A Puritan Theology. In the each case, the ebook is a few dollars cheaper than the hardcover. One problem with having the ebook substantially cheaper is that it would cannibalize the sales of the hardcover and make it harder to recover the large upfront costs of the hardcover book. My main point was that the pricing scheme is nothing out of the ordinary.

Quite true. And I think as e-book sales increase, so will their price in general. My wife and I are customers who would rather buy e-books than hard backs these days. I can imagine publishers catching on to that and realizing the e-book "discount" pressure is losing its strength.

Bought mine. Should be here any day now. I've been waiting for this book for quite sometime. God bless Joel Beeke for his work!

I expect to pay for an e-Book what the "value" of the content is. I've paid $thousands for Logos resources. In my case, the accessibility and searchability is more valuable to me than the physicality of a book. I think many are of the opinion that publishers of Reformed works are literally bathing in the money they make from these works. Even the most popular titles pale in comparison to sales for popular evangelical titles and a volume like this will sell even less given its size. In short, I don't begrudge the price. In fact, I would have been willing to pay twice as much for a volume this important.

When it comes to e-Books... I've made the decision to purchase my "sermon prep" resources - commentaries, etc. - on Logos. But all other books I want to own a physical book.

A negative review of "Puritan Theology- Doctrine For Life"

On Getting the Puritans (and our contemporaries) Right

I didn't think it was negative per se.

If the chapter online is any indication, I expect that the book will be a celebration of the Puritans that is long on primary-source detail but a bit short on genuinely critical historical and contextual analysis. That doesn’t mean that it is without value, but it does suggest that some potentially important questions will not be asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back