A puritanboard cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
It would be great to have a CD-ROM of the Puritanboard and all of its archives. You could even sell it to help maintain the current PB.

I would buy it.

This way, whether you are online or not, you could browse the threads and look for answers.

I use the PB to research and field questions that I have. There is a great collection of minds on the PB and it would be awesome to have them all saved on a CD.

If you were to download the website and use it offline, I don't think you would be able to do a search (like you could do a google custom search while online).

You could download the site, then use a search tool to index it and thus make the content searchable. I use DTSearch for indexing my hard drive, share drives, and web sites.

dtSearch®—Text Retrieval / Full Text Search Engine [0226]

I use DTS as part of my consulting business in intellectual property forensics, so it is not something everyone would need. There are less expensive search tools for others, such as

X1 Email Search, Application Search and eDiscovery

Or Google's desktop search tool (free):

Google Desktop Download

AMR

Ditto to AMR. I'd add that the market for the PB on cd would probably be limited to a few people (like you) who may not have consistent web access. These, days, that number is growing ever smaller--so, from a practical standpoint, probably not many would sell.

But it is not too hard to copy an entire website if you have a fairly fast connection and a lot of time. There are all sorts of copy utilities out there, many are free. Put it all on a hard drive, or even decent sized flash drive, run an index service like google, and you've got it all.

Plus, you can update easily, something that you can't do with a CD (other than burning another one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back