A Question for EPers about learning parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan777

Puritan Board Sophomore
There was a discussion around the dinner table at my pastor’s house yesterday about congregational singing. The question came up about 4 part singing and how it could be taught. For those practicing unaccompanied psalm singing, how did the congregation learn to do it? How did the men learn to sing base and tenor? Was there some type of formal instruction?

There was a discussion around the dinner table at my pastor’s house yesterday about congregational singing. The question came up about 4 part singing and how it could be taught. For those practicing unaccompanied psalm singing, how did the congregation learn to do it? How did the men learn to sing base and tenor? Was there some type of formal instruction?

My wife made me do it.:stirpot:

Last edited:
Four part harmony (or any harmony) is pretty far down the list of importance in singing praise to God. Calvin instituted singing in unison only in Geneva. I wish there wasn’t the emphasis on it in some EP circles.

Crown and Covenant has a website and also an iOS app on which you can listen to the tunes and individual parts if desired. Psalter.org

Four part harmony (or any harmony) is pretty far down the list of importance in singing praise to God. Calvin instituted singing in unison only in Geneva. I wish there wasn’t the emphasis on it in some EP circles.

Crown and Covenant has a website and also an iOS app on which you can listen to the tunes and individual parts if desired. Psalter.org
Did the people in your church practice at home and do they read music ? I mentioned, based on something I read on PB that it’s more difficult to do if one is using a piano or organ but most felt it would be an aid. How comfortable are the men singing in your church? I know that is of secondary importance but it is beautiful to hear. Not so much in Sacred Harp which seems to involve a lot of high decibel shout style singing. Singing in unison is fine and I think I understand why you feel favorably about it but God did give a range of pitch and timbre in the human voice so it seems natural to me to allow the expression of it.

Did the people in your church practice at home and do they read music ? I mentioned, based on something I read on PB that it’s more difficult to do if one is using a piano or organ but most felt it would be an aid. How comfortable are the men singing in your church? I know that is of secondary importance but it is beautiful to hear. Not so much in Sacred Harp which seems to involve a lot of high decibel shout style singing. Singing in unison is fine and I think I understand why you feel favorably about it but God did give a range of pitch and timbre in the human voice so it seems natural to me to allow the expression of it.
Some read music, some I know have practiced at home and memorized parts. Some can just hear a harmony part if the tune is simple enough. The men do sing with enthusiasm as does everyone else whether they can carry a tune or not! Very thankfully.

I don’t want to harp (get it!?) on the whole ‘singing parts’ business. But I do have firm convictions that the focus on the sound of the singing of a congregation, especially when a capella, can become unseemly if care isn’t taken not to do so.

We have a (voluntary) psalmody class that I co-teach/taught with another musically inclined member. We give out recordings of each of the parts separately and slowly go through them, practicing them apart and together. We make use of a keyboard for our practice sessions as a crutch at first and work towards eliminating it as they practice and learn the parts better. Most members cannot read music, so we have to work with music memory.

Before we started having the psalmody class, the more musically inclined members learned the parts on their own at home.

How comfortable are the men singing in your church?
Everyone belts it out, regardless of gender or sex. I found that this is generally the case in acapella congregations. I don't know why. For us, we know we are commanded to sing and make a joyful noise, so we all sing by the command of God.

Last edited:
We have a (voluntary) psalmody class that I co-teach/taught with another musically inclined member. We give out recordings of each of the parts separately and slowly go through them, practicing them apart and together. We make use of a keyboard for our practice sessions. Most members cannot read music, so we have to work with music memory.

Everyone belts it out, regardless of gender or sex. I found that this is generally the case in acapella congregations. I don't know why. For us, we know we are commanded to sing and make a joyful noise, so we all sing by the command of God.
That’s a great idea to have a psalmody class. We have a Psalter but no one who could teach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back