A Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contra_Mundum

Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
Staff member
I would like to commend the following book, as being invaluable for several reasons.

The Shaping of the Reformed Baptismal Rite in the Sixteenth Century,
by Hughes Oliphant Old,
published by Eerdmans, 1992

This book is a later companion volume (some 15 years later) to Old's earlier contribution to Reformation studies: The Patristic Roots of Reformed Worship. At this point, despite any disagreements I have with Old, or with the communion he chose to align himself with for so many years (the PCUSA), I think it fair to say that I will purchase (or already own) most books he writes or has written on worship. For example, his ongoing series of volumes (5 comp. of 7 proj.) on the history of The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures is worth every penny of the ridiculously inflated price Eerdmans places on these paperbacks.

Some reasons:
1) This material expands on his previous, invaluable work.

2) This book unveils the context and the theological reflection ongoing among the 16th century Reformers. In other words, we learn not merely what the Reformers returned to, as they "cleansed" the liturgy of the church, but find how their maturing apprehension of truth exhibited itself in presenting and explaining that to which they returned.

3) We learn how Covenant Theology was not merely an interpretive paradigm for the Reformers (after all, one can scarcely say that such a paradigm erupted de novo, or "fell in the lap," so to speak), but that it was "revealed" in the application of a truly biblical sacramentlogy over against Rome (on one side) and Anabaptism (on the other). So far from today's "controversial covenantalists" really understanding Covenant Theology from an historic Reformed perspective, they are actually bringing their unique (that is, different) formulations and interpretations to the confessions, to the practices, to the historic statements (grossly decontextualized) of the Reformers, in an attempt to appropriate them that they might legitimate their own package under an "umbrella" or "big tent" Reformation.

4) Learning our own history gives us important insights into present theological questions, issues, and debates. Believe me, when you understand what it was the Reformers were defining, and the "over against" positions, you will understand the nature and substance of today's NPP or FV controversies so much better. It really does become obvious what some men today do not understand about their own history; obvious why our creeds, confessions, and practice are what they are, say what they say, or look as they do; obvious that if one understands what Reformed historical doctrine actually teaches, one will either get in line with it (abandoning modern reformualtions), or fight it, or find the present-day communion that shares whatever approach this one prefers to the Reformed historical doctrine.

Whether you are a presbyterian, continental reformed, baptist (English or anabaptist in background), or even pentacostal (in affiliation--I know, I know, don't even go there, jokesters!), if you want to understand this doctrine either historically or for today, I recommend this volume as a piece of your education.

Bruce,

I don't have that particular book, but I very much appreciate the recommendation. My former RPCNA pastor has every book written by Dr. Old and I agree with you that despite his affiliation his works are historically invaluable.

There is an incomplete list of them here. Not included is a 1994 paper that he did for the Calvin Studies Society on "Matthew Henry and the Puritan Discipline of Prayer" that I would really like to get my hands on.

This book is a gold mine.

RTS students - Steven Wright has copies of this in the store. Every person even considering the claims of the FV advocates with respect to sacramentology should be forced to read this book.

For someone with a tight budget on books, would you still recommend this as essential or is it a nice to have? My area of interest in Medieval and Reformation History and theology, in particular covenant theology.

I think perhaps Old shares some of the liberal historical bias one finds in various historical works on the Puritan view of worship (there's that strange comment buried in the bibliography of his 1984 book on worship of all places for instance). His dissertation actually disproves any strong disconnect between Calvin and the Puritans in my opinion. There is a section on Old in the forthcoming "Regulative Principle of Worship: Sixty Years in Reformed Literature. Part One (1946-1999) that appears in the 2006 issue of The Confessional Presbyterian. Sign up for a copy now and for a special price get the 2005 issue as well. http://www.cpjournal.com The 2006 issue should be out in late June. For better or worse I just packed the production files off to the book maker, who should receive them today, D.V..

[Edited on 5-10-2006 by NaphtaliPress]

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
I think perhaps Old shares some of the liberal historical bias one finds in various historical works on the Puritan view of worship (there's that strange comment buried in the bibliography of his 1984 book on worship of all places for instance). His dissertation actually disproves any strong disconnect between Calvin and the Puritans in my opinion.
I think you're right, Chris, that he's got a kind of knee-jerk "liberal scholar's bias" against Puritan worship. Calvin vs. the Calvinists, and all that. A couple times in Shaping he puts down the idea that the Reformers stance was essentially: if not commanded, then forbidden, then proceeds to show how worship regulated by Scripture basically ends up right there. He seems to want to put the early Reformers right in between (i.e. not letting the Puritan's own them) the Lutherans and Reformed Scholastics. But where else is he going to find a "purer strain" of Calvin's thought, outside Refomed orthodoxy? Its ridiculous.

My guess is that ultimately this comes down (again!) to the lib./cons. dichotomy, i.e. who gets the legacy? The libs gave up believing in the Reformers actual theology, but swore that they owned their methodology. And the conservatives (have too often) relied merely upon tradition and yet embraced the theology.

I do think that the Reformers may have been more sensitive to practical matters of worship than their Puritan/Presbyterian island offspring. Does anyone beside me (passionately Puritan) think that in certain things, we must give creedence to the notion that reaction to papist excesses may have produced an over-correction, not generally but in a limited sense? I know the argument goes that the later Reformed were just "getting more consistent" with the principles. However, we must acknowledge that while a host of similarities undergird both continental and island Reformation children, yet there remains a variety of practice in "lesser" things. And we have discussed some of them recently (EP, organ, creeds, etc.). And yet, there is a unity here, and a clear distinction from the Reformed tradition, and Episcopalianism (even low-church).

And that unity is best expressed in a commitment to the Scriptural Law of Worship.

[Edited on 5-10-2006 by Contra_Mundum]

Bruce,
Well, no, I don't think it is just you.;) I do think the difference does boil to down to whether one agrees with where the Puritans went beyond the Reformers in their understanding/application of the RPW, or not. And I believe some differences developed in later periods (commitment to infrequent communion, rejection of the use of the Lord's prayer, etc.). Of course in the area of a cappella singing, there was really a unity there with the Reformers and the Puritans.;)

Originally posted by fredtgreco
This book is a gold mine.

RTS students - Steven Wright has copies of this in the store. Every person even considering the claims of the FV advocates with respect to sacramentology should be forced to read this book.

Oddly enough, Tim Gallant has it on his "favorite books" list here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back