A Return to the House of the Lord - 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
On 7 June, 2020 (today) Peninsula Reformed Presbyterian Church met together for worship for the first time in months. My mother and I attended the evening service, that is now housed in a hotel meeting room as the elementary school that held us will not let us return. We sang Psalm 29, Psalm 72, and Psalm 23. All three are from the red Trinity Hymnal so Psalm 29 was a 1912 almost-paraphrase and 72 was kind of chopped up. Psalm 23 was from the 1650 Psalter. The sermon was an exposition of Psalm 116, continuing a series on the Hallel of Egypt. Reverend DeLacy Andrews, OPC Home Missionary of the Presbytery of the Southeast led the service.
I enjoyed the sermon but today I believe I was especially blessed by the congregational singing. It has been a long time since I have sung together with a group of Christians. Rev. Andrews knows my position on Psalmody, and while he is not EP, he has a deeper fondness for the Psalms than many I know. Thus, he usually chooses mostly Psalms for the evening service. I am very blessed by being a member at this congregation. I am very grateful we are meeting again. Thank you all who prayed for churches across the country and world to reopen. You were praying for my congregation, and that prayer was answered.

All our hymnals have been taken away, and worse, we have had song-less services for the past two Lord's Days. I guess we're waiting to sing until the governor decides it's safe to do so. I never thought I'd see the day when elements of worship were regulated by a profane governor rather than by God. We're only halfway back from Babylon.

We suggested people bring their own hymnals. We also totally separated our at-risk people from those at lower risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back