A Short Note on Geerhardus Vos's "Reformed Dogmatics"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Remember when Vos's "Reformed Dogmatics" was published in 5 volumes a few years back?

Well, I was nosing around at www.lexhampress.com and noticed that the set is going to be re-printed as one single volume. This is supposed to be out toward the end of this year (2020). It'll go for about $60, I believe.

Click on "books." Click on "pre-orders," and scroll down a bit.

The obvious question is: Why didn't they just do this in the first place? Grrr. Heh.

Hmm, interesting. Was it all translated before the first first 3 came out? Maybe they used sales to fund the later production costs? Making this all up, of course, I have no idea.

Wouldn't this be a single massive book? If that is the case, depending on the size, I would prefer several books that are easily to hold than one massive book that isn't.

Remember when Vos's "Reformed Dogmatics" was published in 5 volumes a few years back?

Well, I was nosing around at www.lexhampress.com and noticed that the set is going to be re-printed as one single volume. This is supposed to be out toward the end of this year (2020). It'll go for about $60, I believe.

Click on "books." Click on "pre-orders," and scroll down a bit.

The obvious question is: Why didn't they just do this in the first place? Grrr. Heh.
If I recall correctly they were released as Richard Gaffin finished translating each individual volume. A process that took an extended period of time.

Well, for one thing, unless the font is too small for anybody over 40 to read it will be 1,300 pages or more. I don't like books that big unless they are digital.

If I recall correctly they were released as Richard Gaffin finished translating each individual volume. A process that took an extended period of time.

I think Gaffin did some translating, but I think most of the translating was done by others, with Gaffin overseeing it and giving it a final sheen. Reading the introductory remarks for each volume lays this all our.

I'm also annoyed by the fact that John Frame's theological letters are available in digital format only. A nice fat physical volume would have been very nice to have. I guess they don't have any mercy on people's eyes over there. Harumph!

I think Gaffin did some translating, but I think most of the translating was done by others, with Gaffin overseeing it and giving it a final sheen. Reading the introductory remarks for each volume lays this all our.
That is correct. He spells that out in the preface to volume one. I was going to edit my post but skipped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back