A teenager's motive to die-to-self?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
What is the motivation for a teenager in America to die to self and stifle his carnal desires?

Is it a heaven to gain and a hell to shun?
If hes already saved from hell and to heaven then what is his motivation then?

Is it flourishing and joy that comes from walking with Jesus?

If he's having immediate gratification from getting drunk, being haughty, womanizing, etc. we cant just say "clean up your act so you can be accepted", because isnt he already accepted (that is if he really believes that Jesus will save Him from these sins and he knows they are wrong yet he still continues in them? But the that brings us back to is it just a hell to shun?).

Or put it this way, what is the motivation for any Christian to stifle their carnal desire that is a besetting sin that is so "enjoyable" to them at that moment?

1) Happiness is holiness.

2) Consider the WCF: "God doth continue to forgive the sins of those that are justified; and although they can never fall from the state of justification, yet they may by their sins fall under God's fatherly displeasure, and not have the light of His countenance restored unto them, until they humble themselves, confess their sins, beg pardon, and renew their faith and repentance." WCF XI.5

3) How can one who continues to sin in such a manner expect to grow in the grace and the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Last edited:
At least two basic incentives: Love for Christ and fear of God.

John 14:15-21:

14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Hebrews10:29-31:

10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Vic's summary is a good one. I have occasionally said something I think is similar: that when we look at Christ and his atoning work we see (1) how dangerous and costly sin is and (2) how beautiful holiness is. This how the gospel motivates us to obey.

We could break it down further and note that we obey...
...out of love for our Father and joy in being his children.
...out of gratitude to God.
...due to the confidence that the Spirit is working in us.
...out of hope that every faithful act will be worth it in the end.
...due to the comfort of knowing we are still loved and forgiven even if we fail.
...because of reverence for God and fear for the consequences of sin.

Each of these motivations (and we could think of more) is a piece of the whole, and I think our obedience suffers when any of them is lacking. Happily, all of them increase as we look at Jesus!

A while back, I wrote about the need to keep all these motivations in mind as we teach kids and teens. I was responding particularly to those who emphasize gratitude to such an extent that other motivations are pooh-poohed, but I hope the thoughts are helpful in general. The article: "Why Believers Obey God."

because the one who is truly in Christ and therefore a new creation loves God's Law and hates their sin.

true saving faith is purely supernatural and not something that is transmitted genetically or culturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back