A Terrific Passage of Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
This was from my daily Bible reading for the Lord's Day, yesterday (3/7/21):

I charge you, in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Jesus Christ who, in His testimony before Pontius Pilate, made the good confession, to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will display at the proper time - He who is the blessed and only sovereign, the king of kings and lord of lords who, alone, has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen. (1 Timothy 6.13-16)

I just thought that description of our Lord was so wonderful and full of glory that I went back and read it again after I finished my reading. This is the type of passage to really lift up your heart - especially on the Lord's Day.

This was from my daily Bible reading for the Lord's Day, yesterday (3/7/21):

I charge you, in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Jesus Christ who, in His testimony before Pontius Pilate, made the good confession, to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will display at the proper time - He who is the blessed and only sovereign, the king of kings and lord of lords who, alone, has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen. (1 Timothy 6.13-16)

Wonderful praise to God our Father and His beautiful Son, the Lord Christ. Thanks.

For the past several years, I have considered this passage from Nehemiah to be one of our great God's highest possible praises. For however full our praise of Him is, there is just no way to adequately think and praise Him as He deserves. This is where we run out of what can be said and thought of the wonderful Being we call God.

Nehemiah 9:5-6
Then the Levites, Jeshua, and Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabniah, Sherebiah, Hodijah, Shebaniah, and Pethahiah, said,
Stand up and bless the Lord your God forever and ever: and blessed be thy glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise.
Thou, even thou, art Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

What glory there is just thinking about who God is! It's overwhelming and stirring.

A few weeks ago I found delight in 1 Timothy 1:17,

Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Anselm says God must in some part be defined as "That of which nothing greater can be conceived." A rather technical expression of an amazing truth.

So did Jonathan Edwards, as part of his conversion, recorded in his Personal Narrative (in Works, Yale ed., v. 16, 792-93).

Peace,
Alan

Copied from this blog article:

“The first instance that I remember of that sort of inward, sweet delight in God and divine things that I have lived much in since, was on reading those words (1 Timothy 1:17) “Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever, Amen.” As I read the words, there came into my soul, and was as it were diffused through it, a sense of the glory of the Divine Being; a new sense, quite different from any thing I ever experienced before. Never any words of scripture seemed to me as these words did. I thought with myself, how excellent a Being that was, and how happy I should be, if I might enjoy that God, and be rapt up in him in heaven, and be as it were swallowed up in him for ever! I kept saying, and as it were singing over these words of scripture to myself; and went to pray to God that I might enjoy him, and prayed in a manner quite different from what I used to do; with a new sort of affection. But it never came into my thought, that there was any thing spiritual, or of a saving nature in this.

From about that time, I began to have a new kind of apprehensions and ideas of Christ, and the work of redemption, and the glorious way of salvation by him. An inward, sweet sense of these things, at times, came into my heart; and my soul was led away in pleasant views and contemplations of them. And my mind was greatly engaged to spend my time in reading and meditation on Christ, on the beauty and excellency of his person, and the lovely way of salvation by free grace in him.

Not long after I first began to experience these things, I gave an account to my father of some things that had passed in my mind. I was pretty much affected by the discourse we had together; and when the discourse was ended, I walked abroad alone, in a solitary place in my father’s pasture, for contemplation. And as I was walking there, and looking up on the sky and clouds, there came into my mind so sweet a sense of the glorious majesty and grace of God, that I know not how to express.

After this my sense of divine things gradually increased, and became more and more lively, and had more of that inward sweetness. The appearance of every thing was altered; there seemed to be, as it were, a calm, sweet cast, or appearance of divine glory, in almost every thing. God’s excellency, his wisdom, his purity and love, seemed to appear in every thing; in the sun, moon, and stars; in the clouds, and blue sky; in the grass, flowers, trees; in the water, and all nature; which used greatly to fix my mind. I often used to sit and view the moon for continuance; and in the day spent much time in viewing the clouds and sky, to behold the sweet glory of God in these things; in the mean time, singing forth, with a low voice my contemplations of the Creator and Redeemer.”

Copied from pages 35-36 of Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography by Iain Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back