A tribute to outstanding leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theognome

Burrito Bill
As many of you know, I am a history buff with a particular liking for various wars. Well, I just finished watching three documentaries on the topic of Iwo Jima- Probably the greatest single battle ever fought by the United States Marine Corps. For over a month, 50,000 Marines strove to wrest this tiny island from 25,000 Japanese soldiers, all of whom were expecting the attack and had prepared some of the most complex and deadly defenses ever devised by guilty man. The hardship, heartbreak and maddening torture of battle that the US marines endured in this fight is beyond comprehension. Even I, who has been to war and fought against Iraq cannot imagine what these marines went through. Epics such as this may never again be repeated in living history, and whatever one's opinion of modern America may be one cannot deny the grit of the American Marine.

As I contemplated this battle, I began to consider the Marines I have known personally, and Rich aka Semper Fidelis came to mind. When I think of him, his work and his ministry, the struggle for Iwo Jima is given a perspective. Here is a man who leads his troops, studies God's word at the seminary level, administers this board (which is quite a battleground of itself) and leads his growing family... all the while facing some of the greatest fears of the soul - the possibility of the loss of one's sight.

And yet these are presented in stride. There stands a great man- there stands a Marine. I thank God in heaven for Rich, for his leadership, compassion and unswerving dedication to all he has accepted charge over, including us on this board. I therefor ask all of you, if you have not given him a thank you recently for his work, do so now- for the job of a Marine is too often thankless, and the work of a godly marine a true jewel before men.

Theognome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back