A Very Interesting John Owen Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Today, I picked up The Person of Christ: Declaring a Glorious Mystery - God and Man by John Owen (Fearn, Scotland: Christian Focus Publications, 2015) (Owen's volume Christologia). It's part of a series from Christian Focus in which Owen's works are being re-published (unabridged) in a format that makes them easier for us modern readers by (1) dividing the text into modern-style chapters; (2) using sub-headings based on Owen's original numeric structure; (3) some of Owen's longer sentences are displayed separately; (4) style and placement of biblical references has been modernized, with Roman numerals replacing the Arabic; and (5) slight modernization of language: "doth consist" becomes "consists," for example.

The above book is the seventh volume in the series. The other six volumes are:

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ (2016) (thanks to J. I. Packer, probably Owen's best-known book)
Meditations on the Glory of Christ (2004) (his last book)
The Holy Spirit: His Gifts and Power (2004) (his works on the Holy Spirit)
Communion With God: Of Communion with God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, Each Person
Distinctly, in Love, Grace, and Consolation; or The Saints' Fellowship with the Father, Son,
and Holy Ghost Unfolded
(2007)
The Priesthood of Christ (2010) (an excursus from his commentary on Hebrews)
Assurance: Overcoming the Difficulty of Knowing Forgiveness (2013) (his famous exposition
of Psalm 130)

All these volumes have introductions by Sinclair Ferguson.

If you haven't heard of this series before, and if you're a John Owen fan, you might want to track these down. I don't know if there will be any further entries in the series (I hope so!).

www.christianfocus.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back