Aaaaaaargggg!!!! Ack! Sputter!!! Scream!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
While my wife and I were off at the movies, our much beloved Shih tzu, Mac, decided to take Psa 119:103 ("How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!") a little TOO literally.

He completely and thoroughly chewed up my new Pitt Minion Goatskin NKJV!!! Mac, who sleeps with Jeanette and me, never bothers with cheap leather shoes and has turned his nose up at more than a few bonded leather Bibles. However, leave an expensive pair of shoes (that would be a pair belonging to my daughter) or genuine leather Bible within his reach and it is bon appetit, MacDoggie! :eek::eek::eek:

I had brought the Pitt Minion out to take to a memorial service tomorrow morning and forget to move it out of his reach. My best and nicest Bible! Ouch!!! :oops:

[Evidently, he realizes the weight of his guilt. He is now licking my feet . . . quite thoroughly.] :p

Last edited:
I can't imagine what you are going through right now. I was mad enough when my cat chewed on the ribbon marker of my Thompson Chain. I had to cut the end of it off, making it a little shorter than I want it. :rant:

. . . our much beloved Shih tzu, Mac,
He completely and thoroughly chewed up my new Pitt Minion Goatskin NKJV!!! . . .

That's what you get when you go to the movies instead of reading your Bible at home. :)

BENEVOLENCE FUND, BENEVOLENCE FUND!

That is terrible to hear, Dennis. Was that a Cambridge?

If it's any consolation, this past winter my adorable kitten, Felix (aka. Feewee), urinated all over my two-volume hardcover edition of Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica. (Good Puritan that he is, he zeroed-in on the only Roman Catholic book on the floor -- not a single drop hit any of the Protestant and Reformed books situated next to it.)

I'm truly sorry to hear this, Dennis. I, too, have a dog with a genuine taste for Scripture. So did my father. When I was a wee laddie my father lost an early 1800's original binding of the AV to Penny. Later she devoured a copy of the 1650 Psalter than had been in the family for generations, a german catechism from 1840's, and another finely bound Bible. The reason? I had been looking at them and left them on the coffee table. . . I've lived a damaged existence ever since.

Yet more proof that other visible organisms should not be sharing the living space of humans.

My dogs don't cross that line (although I know a wicked whippet that might). I know a cat that chewed the radio antenna so her owner could not listen to the LD$ general conference....the owner left that cult and found the story funny!

If that ever happened to me, I would muzzle my dog every time I leave home. It's a good thing I don't own one.

Hey Dennis,

Sorry to hear about the loss. As a dog lover I've lost more than a couple of cherished things to the business end of a dog over the years, but never a book as nice as this.

Isn't it funny when they lick your feet after being so bad? :lol:

How old is Mac? Usually they grow out of this stage around 2-3 years old, although I do have a 9 yo Westie who likes to kill one of my pillows every couple of months or so.

Is it possible that Mac was "temporarily possessed" by an evil spirit? :think:

-----Added 5/16/2009 at 01:00:59 EST-----

I can't imagine what you are going through right now. I was mad enough when my cat chewed on the ribbon marker of my Thompson Chain. I had to cut the end of it off, making it a little shorter than I want it. :rant:

I couldn't stop laughing after reading what your cat did! :eek:

:lol::lol::lol:

Several points:

1. It is not as if I have no other Bibles. My thought was to use a small Bible for my small part in a LARGE memorial service (600-700) for a retired minister. The other pastors also used full sized Bibles, so I didn't look like a total nerd.

2. The Bible was a gift from my CFO and didn't cost me a dime. As wonderful as the Cambridge Pitt Minion is, the print is awfully small. My full sized genuine leather Reformation Study Bible will serve just as well.

3. It isn't as if I can't just buy another one. But, being of a VERY cheap stripe, it is more than a little horrifying to see a perfectly good Bible get shredded by a canine. Perhaps it was a sign from God that the critical text is the correct one after all (sort of a "if God can speak through Balaam's ass, he can sure speak through Dennis' dog)!!!

4. It gives a whole new slant on Psa 22:20: "Deliver my soul from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dog!" :lol:

Hey Dennis,

Sorry to hear about the loss. As a dog lover I've lost more than a couple of cherished things to the business end of a dog over the years, but never a book as nice as this.

Isn't it funny when they lick your feet after being so bad? :lol:

How old is Mac? Usually they grow out of this stage around 2-3 years old, although I do have a 9 yo Westie who likes to kill one of my pillows every couple of months or so.

Given the fact that it was my fault for leaving it out where he could get it, I alternated between horror and laughter (he did a really fine job chewing that leather up). He is ordinarily so well behaved that we give him the run of the house while we are away for the day. However, our youngest keeps her nice leather shoes in the closet and we keep our genuine leather Bibles on the bookshelf in order to avoid temptation for Mac. My rather ordinary leather shoes and bonded leather Bibles are always safe from his mischief.

Ecclesiastes reminds us that a living dog is better than a dead lion. But, if Mac keeps up his Bible destruction ways, a dead dog he will become!

MacasEwok.jpg

Dennis,

I believe in the state of California, Shih tzu's that devour Pitt Minions are guilty of a felony. There is an aggravated circumstance in the presumptive sentence for goatskin.

It's hard to imagine God's purpose in appointing this circumstance unless it is something like getting you to switch to ESV or KJV.

Seriously, this is a big disappointment, and a shock, particularly for a long held Bible. Never heard of this happening before, and sorry to hear about this.:)

Maybe Mac is a KJV onlier :eek:.

Toni, I CERTAINLY hope NOT!!! But, he shows a decided disinterest in matters of textual criticism, manuscripts, and translations. His focus is more on dogmatics. :rolleyes: Actually, he often sits and listens to R.C. Sproul with his head cocked to one side. You would swear he was trying hard to listen.

I can't imagine what you are going through right now. I was mad enough when my cat chewed on the ribbon marker of my Thompson Chain. I had to cut the end of it off, making it a little shorter than I want it.

Reformedminister, :eek::eek::eek: You cut your cat's tail off for chewing on the ribbon marker of your Thompson Chain???

Mac is a closet fundy.

Bite your TONGUE! Oh well, at least that would be better than an open American Baptist. :think:

You may have lost a goatskin NKJV...but I say you've gained a Shih tzuskin NKJV.

Craig, your comment was my wife's favorite!

I bet the dog had just read Ezekiel 3:1-2. He's a literalist.

But of course. He is MY dog. As R.C. Sproul likes to say when people ask him, "You don't take the Bible literally, do you?" "But of course, how else would you read it?"

Is it possible that Mac was "temporarily possessed" by an evil spirit?

Why would you ask? Other than his head rotating 360 degrees, spewing green projectile vomiting, and speaking in a different voice, I see no other signs of it.

It's hard to imagine God's purpose in appointing this circumstance unless it is something like getting you to switch to ESV or KJV.
Scott, I use BOTH ESV and NKJV.

While we were at the movies seeing the dog comedy "Marlie and Me", our puppy Ziggy found my cell phone and chewed on it. I ordered a replacement because you couldn't talk into the speaker and be heard on the other end.

Ziggy is also know as the sock vampire around here.

I bet that dog is glad he is owned by you and not me right now! J/K :lol:

Considering your avatar, you sure can evoke more sheer terror in people by a turn of phrase or avatar choice than any nurse since Nurse Ratchet! :lol:

You are probably the kind of nurse who would use a 13 gauge needle on me just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back