AAPC votes to leave the PCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It apparently was first announced on the Yahoo OPC group here . (Like rtdisc, only viewable if you are a group member). Given the source (my pastor) I'd say that it's pretty much a lead pipe cinch that it must be true. He's not going to get out on front on something like this unless it is true.

It apparently was first announced on the Yahoo OPC group here . (Like rtdisc, only viewable if you are a group member). Given the source, I'd say that it's pretty much a lead pipe cinch that it must be true.

Wow. Thats one way to avoid a trial...I wonder if there were any dissenting votes?

My browser isn't accepting their cookies, or something. Can someone please just post it? Is it just a Yahoo thing?

My browser isn't accepting their cookies, or something. Can someone please just post it? Is it just a Yahoo thing?

The link to the Warfield list I posted in post #5 of this thread should work. The other lists have private archives viewable only to group members, similar to our private forums here.

Does the PCA BCO allow for such a withdrawal? I'm comparing it to the OPC BCO, where ordinarily the presbytery must be informed of an intent to withdraw, and there must be two congregational meetings at least 3 weeks apart where a vote to withdraw passes and the presbytery is allowed to weigh in as well as make provisions for those who wish to remain in the OPC.

After looking up the PCA BCO, I guess it does:

"Particular churches need remain in association with any court of this
body only so long as they themselves so desire. The relationship is
voluntary, based upon mutual love and confidence, and is in no sense to be
maintained by the exercise of any force or coercion whatsoever. A particular
church may withdraw from any court of this body at any time for reasons
which seem to it sufficient." (25-11)

Last edited:
Interesting that this was posted in places where no discussion as far as I know was taking place on the topic. Green Bagginses was discussing the La plea, where they essentially threw in the towel and gave SJC the Wilkins case. See this thread.

It apparently was first announced on the Yahoo OPC group here . (Like rtdisc, only viewable if you are a group member). Given the source, I'd say that it's pretty much a lead pipe cinch that it must be true.

Wow. Thats one way to avoid a trial...I wonder if there were any dissenting votes?

There were no dissenting votes according to the post by Doug Wilson.

aah...a nice clean break then. I wonder what will happen now with other presbyteries..:think:

aah...a nice clean break then. I wonder what will happen now with other presbyteries..:think:

Are there actions pending against other presbyteries? Or are you wondering about the indictment that the LA Presbytery pled not guilty to?

I'm happy that he's gone and he can stop causing such a stir in the PCA, but it does disturb me that one would elect to subjugate themselves under the discipline of a church and then run at the hint of being held accountable for what they affirm.

Maybe I'm just a Negative Nancy though.

Rae stole my comment. I will tell you what it does... it gives an example of cut and run. If you come under examination by your session, get out as soon as you can instead of either A) clarifying and clearing your name, or B) being brought to repentance. And in those cases that none of us like, excommunication.

I will tell you what it does... it gives an example of cut and run. If you come under examination by your session, get out as soon as you can instead of either A) clarifying and clearing your name, or B) being brought to repentance. And in those cases that none of us like, excommunication.

:agree:

I thought people (including Doug Wilson) were outraged that Steve Wilkins was not going to get a trial. And I thought that since the LA Presbytery had 'handed over' the case to the SJC that Steve Wilkins was going to be brought up on charges.

Am I wrong in my evaluation?

My guess is that Wilkins simply did not want to come before the SJC. Given that the SJC thought Wilkins should have been charged, it makes sense for Wilkins to leave. This way he does leave as a minister in good standing, with no judicial proceeding against him. I think it was a good decision for AAPC to make, frankly.

Isn't that what everyone wanted? Him to remain a minister in 'good standing'. At least that is what I hear all the FV guys saying, he is STILL a minister in good standing.

My guess is that Wilkins simply did not want to come before the SJC. Given that the SJC thought Wilkins should have been charged, it makes sense for Wilkins to leave. This way he does leave as a minister in good standing, with no judicial proceeding against him. I think it was a good decision for AAPC to make, frankly.

So do you think Wilson was wrong? (as per my post above)

If there was an erring member of your church, Lane, who you and your session were about to bring up on charges . . . but before you got the chance, he decided to leave and go to another church (PCA or otherwise) so he technically leaves in good standing, would that be an equally "good decision" for that member?

I was on the prosecution team against the LA Presbytery. Obviously I think Wilkins's theology is in error. The SJC was probably not going to rule in Wilkins's favor, had he gone to trial. Many, many people had asked Wilkins to leave the denomination for the sake of purity. He did not want to do that until he had exhausted all his options.

The case of an individual as a member of a church is different, I think, precisely because the properties of an individual are not the same as the properties of the group. At this point it is speculation to try to decide what Wilkins's motives were in leaving. Don't forget that the church voted unanimously to leave. It is not just Wilkins here.

I agree with Lane. I started encouraging FV officers to leave the PCA quietly when I first started my blog last year after the 35th GA approved the study committee's recommendations almost unanimously. For me, this isn't about lining people up against the wall and shooting them, or even making examples of them. For me it is and always will be about the peace and purity of the PCA. The quickest and most peaceful courses are either to repent of FV or to leave quietly.

I am confident that Wilkins would have been convicted because of the stacks of evidence against him and the high quality of the prosecution team :wow:. But that doesn't mean that I wanted to see a trial. A trial would just cause further division and disruption of peace. LAP and AAPC did the right thing for the peace and purity of the church in my opinion.

As for Wilson, Wilson wants what Wilson wants on any given day--whichever way he thinks he can force the wind blow to stir the waters. Who cares? He's nothing to the PCA.

Even though a trial would be desruptive, folks within a denomination look to court cases for the definative position of a denomination. I can hear FV'ers in the PCA saying that Wilkins left the PCA in good standing and was never convicted for for his views, therefore FV (as far as they are concerned and despite the PCA paper on FV approved by GA) is within the bounds of the Standards. :um:

Even though a trial would be desruptive, folks within a denomination look to court cases for the definative position of a denomination. I can hear FV'ers in the PCA saying that Wilkins left the PCA in good standing and was never convicted for for his views, therefore FV (as far as they are concerned and despite the PCA paper on FV approved by GA) is within the bounds of the Standards. :um:

Well, that's certainly true. However, there will be many around who will be able to tell...the REST of the story.

And I suppose some could draw an analogy with the Shepherd case in the OPC and at WTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back