Academy Awards makes a change (or should)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
The Academy Awards, due to recent events, has announced that in the future all hosts and presenters will be issued a suit of armor and a lightsaber.

Well no, they didn't actually say this but maybe they should have.

I know this was a joke, but seriously, who even cares about these things? Why does anyone tolerate groups of people giving themselves accolades and awards—scientists, actors, authors, etc.? It's the pinnacle of pride and self-worship. To make matters worse, these actors are one of the big reasons—if not the biggest reason—our society is deteriorating seemingly uncontrollably. Who cares what these degenerates say, or what they do to each other?

Besides, most people know at this point that the Smith-Rock debacle was most likely a staged act to help Pfizer—a major sponsor of the event—sell their new drug for treating alopecia—conveniently announced two days after the awards show. Until that point, most people had never heard of alopecia. Now, the whole English-speaking world knows, much to Pfizer's profit, I'm sure.

I know this was a joke, but seriously, who even cares about these things? Why does anyone tolerate groups of people giving themselves accolades and awards—scientists, actors, authors, etc.? It's the pinnacle of pride and self-worship. To make matters worse, these actors are one of the big reasons—if not the biggest reason—our society is deteriorating seemingly uncontrollably. Who cares what these degenerates say, or what they do to each other?

Besides, most people know at this point that the Smith-Rock debacle was most likely a staged act to help Pfizer—a major sponsor of the event—sell their new drug for treating alopecia—conveniently announced two days after the awards show. Until that point, most people had never heard of alopecia. Now, the whole English-speaking world knows, much to Pfizer's profit, I'm sure.
Oh.... another juicy conspiracy theory! I like.

I could see where folk might get a wee confused between photology (a lightsaber), posology (an alopecia drug), and penology (a slap crime).

Last edited:
The need for Jesus, as seen in the Hollywood subculture, is instructive for all of us. That culture's current obsession with progressive social ideas only masks a bigger problem: an obsession with public image. In Hollywood, public image is your currency and your sense of approval. So, there is handwringing over what an incident like this (or any of many other incidents) might do to the image of the actors involved, the sponsoring organization, the industry as a whole, and each of the individuals who feel a need to comment oh-so-correctly in order to curate their image. What they actually decide to say is less telling than the fact that they feel the need to say it.

What Hollywood says is just politics, but the image obsession is a deeper idolatry desperately in need of Jesus. It is also a struggle most of us ought to be able to relate to—and then examine ourselves. We have our own subcultures that increasingly pass out approval based on how we signal our correctness in what we say online, in the church foyer, or even when making prayer requests. We too are tempted to curate our image instead of resting in Jesus. Hollywood stands as a warning of where that can lead.

Taylor, I agree with you. I do not have a tv and never watch award shows, but this was everywhere in the news, so I made a humorous comment. Hollywood has become so politically correct and liberal that it is frightening. Yet, there are a number of threads on PB discussing movies and tv, particularly in reference to people's favorite shows and movies. Just a thought.

Well the thing is even the secular world as I perceive it are tired of this piece of news already... it is the media outlets forcing it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back