Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Recently, I have acquired a couple of items of interest for my library.

1) 1951 Webster's Unabridged New International Dictionary. It is 12"x10"x6" and 18 lbs., making it the biggest book I have ever owned! I got it for free too.

2) A complete set of Covenanter / Reformed Presbyterian Witness magazines from 1991 to the present. Cost of postage.

What acquisitions of interest have others obtained recently?

:book2:

The reading and preaching of the scripturein the worship of the Christian Church - Hughes Oliphant Old. 5 volumes, Eermans Publ. I just finished the first volume and it's really great :up: . There will be totally 7 volumes.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...24444&netp_id=344277&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW

I also orderd The Gospel of John, 2 Volumes & Matthew - Craig S. Keener. Did anyone of you read the commentaries
Craig S. Keener ?

http://store.yahoo.com/discerning/goofjocrke.html

http://store.yahoo.com/discerning/macrske.html

Recently ordered ...

- Matthew Poole's Commentary on the Whole Bible (3 vols)
- The Complete Sermons of Martin Luther (7 vols)
- Bondage of the Will, Luther
- The Larger Catechism, Luther
- On Christian Liberty, Luther
- Table Talk, Luther
- A Simple Way to Pray, Luther
- City of God, Augustine
- Systematic Theolody, R.L. Dabney

:banana:

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by WrittenFromUtopia]

John Winthrop: America's Forgotten Founding Father, by Francis J. Bremer.

Heaven Taken by Storm, by Thomas Watson.

The Old Religion in a New World: The History of North American Christianity, by Mark A. Noll.

Heaven taken by storm is outstanding:scholar:

i'm on the atonement right now...recently got r.l. dabney's book on penal substitution and finally got john murray's redemption accomplished and applied which is swell........i have just purchased my esv concordance as well....:banana:

Calvinism and the Philosophy or Nature: The Stone Lectures Delivered at Princeton in 1930- by Valentine Hepp

Just got it today (Along with a whole bunch of other used goodies!)

Originally posted by Mayflower
The reading and preaching of the scripturein the worship of the Christian Church - Hughes Oliphant Old. 5 volumes, Eermans Publ. I just finished the first volume and it's really great :up: . There will be totally 7 volumes.

I need to get this. Old is excellent on worship.

I picked up a couple of other interesting books at the book table at the Presbyterian Reformed Church annual presbytery meeting today.

The Practical Philosophy by R.L. Dabney

A Reader's Guide to Reformed Literature by Joel Beeke

"Trees of North America" by Golden Books. A field guide published in 1968 which I obtained a couple of days ago for $3. We go hiking alot and I'm trying to teach my kids to know their trees.

This won´t excite anyone else, but I recently won on Ebay (but not yet received from UK) The Confession of Faith; the Larger and Shorter Catechism (Sir D. Hunter Blair and M. T. Bruce. 1831). Cost somewhere under $40. This completes my set of Blair and Bruce editions of the traditional collection of the Westminster Standards, which makes me happy. I needed the 1831 as it is one of two S. W. Carruthers references in his critical text work on the Confession of Faith. I have been collecting editions for a couple of years while I work on a new critical text of the Confession of Faith and Catechisms (for some of my findings and corrections to the Carruthers work see The Confessional Presbyterian vol 1 now shipping). The B&B were the best editions in the first half of the 19th century. There are printings dated 1803, 1810, 1815, 1827, 1831, 1836 and 1841. These were so carefully handset that each edition looks like they are from a single set of plates, but are not. After this, the stereotyped editions of Johnstone & Hunter came along in the 1850s and these were prevalent through the end of the century. The Free Presbyterian edition is mostly a reprint of the large 1855 library edition published by J&H. I have one of these 1855s; it is probably the nicest 19th century edition one could get and probably not at too high a price if you can find a copy (and in good shape; mine isn´t); they simply do not come on the market often. The 18th century editions I like the best of what I have are the 1736 Lumisden and Robertson, and probably the nicest 18th century edition is the large 8vo 1773 Kincaid edition. I own a copy of this once presented in 1907 by William Carruthers to Westminster College, Cambridge. According to the book plate at least.

UPS brought me more today!

- Myths, Lies, and Half-Truths; Gary Demar
- God and Government (vols 1-3); Gary Demar
- Last Days Madness; Gary Demar
- Thinking Straight in a Crooked World; Gary Demar
- Liberty at Risk; Gary Demar

Recently Acquired:

- A Simple Overview of Covenant Theology by C. Matthew McMahon (just finished it, then ordered a second copy to give to a friend).

- The Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man by Herman Witsius

- Introduction to the Old Testament by R. K. Harrison (got it on eBay, waiting for it to arrive)

Hope to buy and then read after the above three (not necessarily in this order):

- Systematic Theology by Berkhof

- Systematic Theology by Dabney

- Christianity and Liberalism by Machen

Recent acquisitions:

Library of Christian classics: Advocates of Reform, Wycliffe to Erasmus
The Confessions: Augustine: Ed. Maria Boulding
Vol 4 Collected Works, John Murray
Faith of the Early Fathers Vol 1-3: Jurgen (Yes he is RCC, but its reqd reading for Ancient History) Excellent for translation and collection of early church fathers. Commentary is fun if you want to get into the head of a RCC.
Perspectives on Pentecost - Gaffin
Spirit of Promise - Macleod

Endless hours of reading enjoyment! :candle:

Thanks for the info! I think I will be purchasing vol. 5, immediately, of the Olds' set mentioned above. I possess already (and have read, unlike the vast majority of my library :um: ) the first 4.

EXCELLENT, thus far. I think I recommended them somewhere on the board here in the past...

* Keith A. Mathison - Given for you (reclaiming Calvin's doctrine of the Lords supper)

* Paul David Tripp - War of words

Recent books:

The Decades of Henry Bullinger (4 volumes in 2) By Henry Bullinger
The Whole Works of Thomas Boston (on CD) By Thomas Boston
A Defense of the True and Catholic Doctrine of the Sacrament of the Body and Blood of Our Saviour By Thomas Cranmer
The Origins of Infant Baptsm By Joachim Jeremias
The Case for Traditional Protestantism: the Solas of the Reformation By Terry L. Johnson
The Holy Trinity: In Scripture, History, Theology, and Worship By Robert Letham
Puritan Papers: Volume 5, 1968-1969 By J.I. Packer
Expositions and Notes on Sundry Portions of the Holy Scriptures By William Tyndale
Predestination and Justification: Two Theological Loci By Peter Martyr Vermigli
The Westminster Confession into the 21st Century: Volume 2 By J. Ligon Duncan III
Puritans and Predestination: Grace in English Protestant Thought 1515-1695 By Dewey D. Wallace
Reformed Dogmatics, Vol. 2: God and Creation By Herman Bavinck
The Marks of God's Children By Jean Taffin
The Duties of Parents By Jacobus Koelman
The Works of John Knox, 6 vols. By John Knox

Time to read!!

WLC Commentary - Johannes G. Vos
The Two Wills of God - Matthew MacMahon
Systematic Theology - Robert Reymond
History of the Reformation in the Time of Calvin, 4 vols. - J.H. Merle D'Aubigne,
Calvin on Reforming the Church, 1st English Edition, John Calvin

Just scored a mint condition copy of Warfield's Person and Work of Christ for a whole $2.00 at the local book fair. I still feel like burgler, but man do I love book fairs.

John Bolt- A Free Church, A Holy Nation
Abraham Kuyper's American Public Theology
Eerdmans - 502 pgs.

Originally posted by crhoades
Eerdmans - 502 pgs.

Give a detailed impression of it when your finished. I have been eyeing that for a long time.

These aren't really acquisitions, as I have had them for a while, but am now starting to read them:

Biblical Theology by Geerhardus Vos
City of God by Augustine (almost finished)
The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser
A Son to Me by Somebody who will not be mentioned

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Eerdmans - 502 pgs.

Give a detailed impression of it when your finished. I have been eyeing that for a long time.

These aren't really acquisitions, as I have had them for a while, but am now starting to read them:

For some ridiculously low prices that might convince you to pick it up:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=bolt&y=0&tn=kuyper&x=0

(saves me from having to review it! ;))

Eerdmans - 502 pgs.

For some ridiculously low prices that might convince you to pick it up:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=bolt&y=0&tn=kuyper&x=0

(saves me from having to review it! ;))

Well,
You didn't do what I asked you to do, but you did convince me to buy the book. I'll let it slide this time ;)

Some recent acquisitions of mine (very random yet I have a purpose with him)

1) Bertrand Russell, The History of Western Philosophy
2) Tom Wright, The Resurrection of the Son of God. Please, before you warn me of his "anti-christian theology," I mention it for apologetic reasons. One, and this is Mark Dever/Ligon Duncan speaking, Wright has done for the Resurrection what Machen did for the Virgin Birth. That and Wright is just such a good writer/speaker and not everything he has said is bad (read what I just said. The words "not everything" and "merely" are some of the most important words in theology). And lastly, I figure the best way to refute (if such action is called for) a false teaching is to...well...read it and refute it.

3) Livy's The Early History of Rome

2) Tom Wright, The Resurrection of the Son of God. Please, before you warn me of his "anti-christian theology," I mention it for apologetic reasons. One, and this is Mark Dever/Ligon Duncan speaking, Wright has done for the Resurrection what Machen did for the Virgin Birth. That and Wright is just such a good writer/speaker and not everything he has said is bad (read what I just said. The words "not everything" and "merely" are some of the most important words in theology). And lastly, I figure the best way to refute (if such action is called for) a false teaching is to...well...read it and refute it.

:pray2: for you. :lol:

:pray2: for you. :lol:

I am still waiting for my Bolt book to come in before I buy that other kuyyper book.

:p

You should not have to apologize for reading those works. How else are we to speak intelligently about theology if we read only our opinions. Besides, I have read some of Wright's work and its not all heresy. To anyone who would be critical of you for this I would say, should Luther have never read Occam?? if so perhaps he would have never been liberated from Romish theology. ??? :book2:

Originally posted by New wine skin

You should not have to apologize for reading those works. How else are we to speak intelligently about theology if we read only our opinions. Besides, I have read some of Wright's work and its not all heresy. To anyone who would be critical of you for this I would say, should Luther have never read Occam?? if so perhaps he would have never been liberated from Romish theology. ??? :book2:

Agreed. Erasmus, Jacques Lefevre and other humanists played an important role in the Reformation. While reading Occam was good for Luther, let us not cut ourselves on Occam's Razor. :)

On the one hand, I look forward to a society that would censor literature that contradicts the known principles of Christianity (cf. 1646 WCF, XX, IV); on the other hand I believe that a proper method of understanding truth is to compare it with error (ie., shine the light of God's Word upon the error). David Dickson's Truth's Victory Over Error (1684), the first commentary on the Westminster Confession, utilizes this approach well.

I have read Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not A Christian and many other such works attempting by God's grace to use discernment for the greater goal of being able refute such stuff intelligently. John Milton's Areopagitica (1644, an early plug for the First Amendment, of which I am not a fan) was written against Puritan censorship and I understand his point, but I also understand what the Puritans were aiming for by restricting the publication of literature to that which is edifying and consistent with Christianity.

[Edited on 6-21-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back