Existence and Attributes of God, Stephen Charnock

Law of Perfect Freedom, Mike Horton

Where in the World is the Church?, Mike Horton

Christ the Lord, ed. Mike Horton

Pray With Your Eyes Open, Richard Pratt

Communion of Saints, ed. Philip Ryken

Give Praise to God, ed. Ryken, Ligon Duncan, Derek Thomas

All God's Children and Blue Suede Shoes, Ken Myers

The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England - Edmund S. Morgan

The Reformation: A History - Diarmaid MacCulloch

Birth Of The Church: From Jesus to Constantine, 30-312 - Ivor J. Davidson

City on a Hill: Reclaiming the Biblical Pattern for the Church in the 21st Century - Philip Graham Ryken

Just ordered from Borders/Amazon:

Defending the Faith: J. Gresham Machen and the Crisis of Conservative Protestantism in Modern America - D.G. Hart

Christianity and Liberalism - J. Gresham Machen

[Edited on 10-6-2005 by Plimoth Thom]

Originally posted by Draught Horse
I just picked up that set that JohnV has always been talking about--Great Ideas of the World (or something like that)--for $30. There are about fifty volumes in it.

All for $30? Wow.

I just bought the most recent edition of the Great Books of the Western off of Ebay (they were brand new; never opened) for $750. That's about $450 less than what Britannica sells them for.

The newer edition is 60 volumes with 517 total works, 37,000 pages, and 29 million words...

Just received:
Reforming the Reformation: Theological Debate at the Westminster Assembly 1643-1652
A thesis submitted to the Faculty of History of the University of Cambridge in Candidacy for the degree Doctor of Philosophy, September 2004
By Chad Van Dixhoorn
Seven volumes, multiple paginations. About 3100 pages.
This work may be discussed for many years to come I suspect. Eventually Chad's full transcription of the Minutes will replace the partial one done by Mitchell and Struthers 120 years ago.
As to contents, generally, Chad says in a letter to me, The thesis contains my own analysis of the Assembly (volume one and part of volume two), a working bibliography of all the works by the Assembly (volume one), a recently rediscovered journal by John Lightfoot (volume two), and a draft of the minutes of the Westminster Assembly (volumes three to seven).
UPS delivered it this afternoon; I heard a loud thud at the back door. Seven very large volumes (more like folios). 1 of 13 sets made, nice red library quality binding. Very nice!
:banana:

vandixhoornthesis.jpg

Chris,

Any thought of it actually being published? I would think that every seminary library would want one.

Fred,
I know 12 sets where sent to the US, and most of those I suspect are libary purchases (and maybe Ligon Duncan as my set was shipped from First Prez Jackson MS). Chad says he will take the next three years to edit the MS of the Minutes for publication, adding editorial apparatus etc. Maybe my transcription of the Larger Catechism MSS will also make it into print. It is only a draft and someone or several someones will need to go back over it. It's in Chad's hands. All part of the Wesminster Assembly Project.
http://www.westminsterassembly.org/

After not making many book purchases the past few years, I've recently made quite a few at a used book store and at a discount online.

Used:

Cornelius Van Til "The Sovereignty of Grace: An Appraisal of G.C. Berkouwer's View of Dordt"

Thomas Watson and Samuel Lee "The Bible and the Closet"

James Jordan "Through New Eyes" (stay calm....I'm not a Jordan fan, and recently posted criticism of the latest BH, but I picked this up for a few dollars)

Franklin Sanders "Heiland" (one of Draught Horse's favorites)

Many of these weren't on my immediate wish list, but the price was too good to pass up:

A.A. Hodge "Outlines of Theology"
Peter Jones "Spirit Wars"
J.G. Machen "Christianity and Liberalism"
Machen "Education, Christianity and the State"
Samuel Miller "Doctrinal Integrity"
J.C. Ryle "Expository Thoughts on Luke" 2 vols
Thomas Watson "Body of Divinity"
Watson "The Ten Commandments"
Richard Pratt "Every Thought Captive"
Arnold Dallimore "The Life of Edward Irving"
T. C. Johnson "Life and Letters of Benjamin Morgan Palmer"

I also finally got the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. Once I order the Reformation Study Bible, Calvin's Institutes, Berkhof's Systematic Theology and maybe a few others (Vos, Biblical Theology perhaps), I figure I'll be set for a good while, especially since I'll probably be too busy in the next few months to read much. I think I'm going to start with a close study of the Westminster Standards before I delve into Watson, Hodge and Calvin.

My most recent aquisitions:

The Origin of Paul's Religion - J. Gresham Machen

Richard Sibbes: Puritanism and Calvinism in Late Elizabethan and Early Stuart England - Mark Dever

The Puritan Experiment: New England Society from Bradford to Edwards - Francis J. Bremer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back