Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Draught Horse
John Bolt, A Free Church, A Holy Nation: Abraham Kuyper's American Public Theology

Thanks Chris

Let me know when you have a review ready for me! :lol:

I recently read " The Democratization of American Christianity" by Nathan Hatch. Very good book, extremely enlightening I thought . Anyone else read this book? any thoughts?

Just got this in...It looks incredible. He has hundreds of pages on the ten commandments, the separation into the moral, ceremonial, and the judicial and the abiding validity vs. the abrogation thereof. Time for research!:detective:

http://www.heritagebooks.org/item.asp?bookId=2514
The Decades of Henry Bullinger (4 volumes in 2)

Henry Bullinger (1504-1575) was one of the most widely-esteemed leaders of the Reformed churches, and The Decades was the most famous of his 150 treatises and manuscripts. The Decades derives its name from being a series of fifty theological sermons divided into five groups of ten sermons each. Each sermon is a helpful, detailed exposition of an important doctrine. Combined, they encompass the field of theology in a form readable for the typical layman. They became more popular than Calvin´s Institutes in England, and now are reprinted for the first time since 1850. This edition has new introductions on Bullinger´s life and on The Decades by George Ella and Joel R. Beeke.

Originally posted by crhoades
Just got this in...It looks incredible. He has hundreds of pages on the ten commandments, the separation into the moral, ceremonial, and the judicial and the abiding validity vs. the abrogation thereof. Time for research!:detective:

Henry Bullinger (1504-1575) was one of the most widely-esteemed leaders of the Reformed churches, and The Decades was the most famous of his 150 treatises and manuscripts. The Decades derives its name from being a series of fifty theological sermons divided into five groups of ten sermons each. Each sermon is a helpful, detailed exposition of an important doctrine. Combined, they encompass the field of theology in a form readable for the typical layman. They became more popular than Calvin´s Institutes in England, and now are reprinted for the first time since 1850. This edition has new introductions on Bullinger´s life and on The Decades by George Ella and Joel R. Beeke.

Bullinger's comments on the judicial law (and many other things) are very good! Enjoy! :book2:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

Bullinger's comments on the judicial law (and many other things) are very good! Enjoy! :book2:

From what I understand, he was one of the very few people in the past five hundred years who supported the death penalty for sabbath breaking.

CT

Originally posted by ChristianTrader

From what I understand, he was one of the very few people in the past five hundred years who supported the death penalty for sabbath breaking.

CT

The below is taken from Theonomy and the Westminster Confession by Martin Foulner (also a recent acquisition)

Bullinger's Second Helvetic Confession:

The Duty of the Magistrate.

The chief duty of the magistrate is to secure and preserve peace and public tranquillity. Doubtless he will never do this more successfully than when he is truly God-fearing and religious; that is to say, when, according to the example of the most holy kings and princes of the people of the Lord, he promotes the preaching of the truth and sincere faith, roots out lies and all superstition, together with all impiety and idolatry, and defends the Church of God. We certainly teach that the care of religion belongs especially to the holy magistrate.

Let him, therefore, hold the Word of God in his hands, and take care lest anything contrary to it is taught. Likewise let him govern the people entrusted to him by God with good laws made according to the Word of God, and let him keep them in discipline, duty and obedience. Let him exercise judgment by judging uprightly. Let him not respect any man's person or accept bribes. Let him protect widows, orphans and the afflicted. Let him punish and even banish criminals, impostors and barbarians. For he does not bear the sword in vain (Rom. 13:4).

Therefore, let him draw this sword of God against all malefactors, seditious persons, thieves, murderers, oppressors, blasphemers, perjured persons, and all those whom God has commanded him to punish and even to execute. Let him suppress stubborn heretics (who are truly heretics), who do not cease to blaspheme the majesty of God and to trouble, and even to destroy the Church of God.

Heinrich Bullinger 1504 -1575 [Mosaic Judicials].
" Whereas, besides the ceremonies, there is much written also in the law concerning civil polity, ordinance, judgment, to live peacable and well in city and land; of buying and selling, of war and peace, of inheritance and properties, of laws matrimonial, of the punishment of the wicked, of the judgment and council, of lending and borrowing, etc.; it is no news at all, and serveth altogether for the declaration of the six commandments of the second table. Such laws and rules to live in peace, in a civil order and virtue, have also the holy fathers had from the beginning of the world written in their hearts by God himself. Now hath God also caused all to be comprehended in writing by Moses, to the intent that the world might excuse himself of ignorance."
H. Bullinger, Antiquissima Fides etvera Religio. transl. Miles Coverdale (1488-1568) as
" The Old Faith " p.47ff. Parker Society. [1541 ] 1844.

[Abolition of Mosaic Judicial laws].
"...the substance of God's judicial laws is not taken away or abolished, but...the ordering and limitation of them is placed in the arbitrement of good Christian princes...."

H. Bullinger, "Decades" vol.3.pp. 280. Parker soc. 1850. See also pp 282,218,280ff.

James Jordan
[Summary of Bucer & Bullinger].

" 1. Both state categorically that the mosaic judicial laws were designed for ancient Israel and no longer bind modern Christian nations. 2. Both turn around and invoke the penal sanctions of the mosaic laws as if they were fully binding on modern magistrates. 3. Both hold that even though the Mosaic judicials are not binding, yet also they are not abolished or removed. 4. Both hold that the Mosaic judicials must inform the thinking of good Christian princes, who nonetheless have the right to alter them somewhat. 5. Both seem to believe that the Mosaic judicials cannot be improved upon. How are we to understand this?... The civil aspects of the unchanging moral law were phrased in case law, dealing with cases common and sometimes peculiar to the ancient, agrarian Israelite economy. Some, perhaps many, of these cases no longer exist in the modern world. Nonetheless, the basic principles contained in the case law can be and must be applied to the modern civil order. Some cases, such as murder, adultery , blasphemy, and sabbath breaking, remain the same; and thus the civil laws regarding these also remain the same from age to age... the English puritans used the term "equity" to denote this phenomenon of basic principles and common cases still being binding in the New Testament era."
' Calvin & the Judicial law of Moses.' op cit., pp.27-28

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by crhoades]

...... I figure the best way to refute (if such action is called for) a false teaching is to...well...read it and refute it.

Well said, Jacob!! :up: :up:

Robin

The below is taken from Theonomy and the Westminster Confession by Martin Foulner (also a recent acquisition)

Where did you find it, I have been looking around for it but no dice.

CT

CT

Check your email/U2U

CT

You can get it here at Still Waters. I've read it. I personally think his conclusions are all wrong, but it's a valuable historical reference.

Bullinger's Second Helvetic Confession:

The Duty of the Magistrate.

The chief duty of the magistrate is to secure and preserve peace and public tranquillity. Doubtless he will never do this more successfully than when he is truly God-fearing and religious; that is to say, when, according to the example of the most holy kings and princes of the people of the Lord, he promotes the preaching of the truth and sincere faith, roots out lies and all superstition, together with all impiety and idolatry, and defends the Church of God. We certainly teach that the care of religion belongs especially to the holy magistrate.

Let him, therefore, hold the Word of God in his hands, and take care lest anything contrary to it is taught. Likewise let him govern the people entrusted to him by God with good laws made according to the Word of God, and let him keep them in discipline, duty and obedience. Let him exercise judgment by judging uprightly. Let him not respect any man's person or accept bribes. Let him protect widows, orphans and the afflicted. Let him punish and even banish criminals, impostors and barbarians. For he does not bear the sword in vain (Rom. 13:4).

Therefore, let him draw this sword of God against all malefactors, seditious persons, thieves, murderers, oppressors, blasphemers, perjured persons, and all those whom God has commanded him to punish and even to execute. Let him suppress stubborn heretics (who are truly heretics), who do not cease to blaspheme the majesty of God and to trouble, and even to destroy the Church of God.

Heinrich Bullinger 1504 -1575 [Mosaic Judicials].
" Whereas, besides the ceremonies, there is much written also in the law concerning civil polity, ordinance, judgment, to live peacable and well in city and land; of buying and selling, of war and peace, of inheritance and properties, of laws matrimonial, of the punishment of the wicked, of the judgment and council, of lending and borrowing, etc.; it is no news at all, and serveth altogether for the declaration of the six commandments of the second table. Such laws and rules to live in peace, in a civil order and virtue, have also the holy fathers had from the beginning of the world written in their hearts by God himself. Now hath God also caused all to be comprehended in writing by Moses, to the intent that the world might excuse himself of ignorance."
H. Bullinger, Antiquissima Fides etvera Religio. transl. Miles Coverdale (1488-1568) as
" The Old Faith " p.47ff. Parker Society. [1541 ] 1844.

[Abolition of Mosaic Judicial laws].
"...the substance of God's judicial laws is not taken away or abolished, but...the ordering and limitation of them is placed in the arbitrement of good Christian princes...."

H. Bullinger, "Decades" vol.3.pp. 280. Parker soc. 1850. See also pp 282,218,280ff.

James Jordan
[Summary of Bucer & Bullinger].

" 1. Both state categorically that the mosaic judicial laws were designed for ancient Israel and no longer bind modern Christian nations. 2. Both turn around and invoke the penal sanctions of the mosaic laws as if they were fully binding on modern magistrates. 3. Both hold that even though the Mosaic judicials are not binding, yet also they are not abolished or removed. 4. Both hold that the Mosaic judicials must inform the thinking of good Christian princes, who nonetheless have the right to alter them somewhat. 5. Both seem to believe that the Mosaic judicials cannot be improved upon. How are we to understand this?... The civil aspects of the unchanging moral law were phrased in case law, dealing with cases common and sometimes peculiar to the ancient, agrarian Israelite economy. Some, perhaps many, of these cases no longer exist in the modern world. Nonetheless, the basic principles contained in the case law can be and must be applied to the modern civil order. Some cases, such as murder, adultery , blasphemy, and sabbath breaking, remain the same; and thus the civil laws regarding these also remain the same from age to age... the English puritans used the term "equity" to denote this phenomenon of basic principles and common cases still being binding in the New Testament era."
' Calvin & the Judicial law of Moses.' op cit., pp.27-28

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by crhoades]

I don't want to get into another theonomy debate, but there is nothing here in Bullinger's words that is theonomic. The only thing theonomic here is James Jordan's spin on Bullinger.

I don't want to get into another theonomy debate, but there is nothing here in Bullinger's words that is theonomic. The only thing theonomic here is James Jordan's spin on Bullinger.

Ditto to the debate thing...He asked so I did a quick copy and paste. :um:

I hinted at this in another thread but I just picked up

St Anselm, The Major Works

St Athanasius, On the Incarnation, with and introduction by CS Lewis

Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

Gary North, Moses & Pharoah: Dominion Religion versus Power Religion (Ok, this was five dollars and it just looked like a fun read!)

Building a Christian Worldview, ed. Hoffecker

[Edited on 7--24-05 by Draught Horse]

Gary North, Moses & Pharoah: Dominion Religion versus Power Religion (Ok, this was five dollars and it just looked like a fun read!)

Whoa! I just picked that up at a used book store yesterday! :eek:

I also bought:

- Tactics of Christian Resistance, by Gary North
- Conspiracy: A Biblical View, by Gary North
- A Body of Divinity, by Thomas Watson
- The Lord's Supper, by Thomas Watson
- The Canons and Decrees of the Council of Trent

I just read the foreward and introduction to Gary North's book; good stuff. You will enjoy his Tactics of Christian Resistance. He makes a very interesting case that Francis Schaeffer had been reading Rushdoony for twenty years and refused to quote him in A Christian Manifesto.

Abebooks - Used as low as $5.00

The Basic Ideas of Calvinism - 6th edition
H.Henry Meeter revised by Paul A. Marshall
221 pgs. 0-0810-6269-1

Part 1 Theological Ideas of Calvinism
1. The Fundamental Principle
2. The Place of the Bible
3. The Place of Faith
4. The Balance of the System
5. The Main Theological Tenets
6. Common Grace
7. Human Culture

Part 2 Political Ideas of Calvinism
8. Politics and the Bible
9. The Origin and the Function of the State
10. The Best Form of State
11. The Form of Government
12. The Task of Government
13. The Authority of the Government
14. Civil Liberty
15. The Sovereignty of the Social Spheres
16. The Relation of Church and State
17. Internationalism in History
18. Internationalism and the United Nations
19. International Law
20. War in History
21. The Bible and War
22. The Christian and Total War
23. The Christian Citizen and War
24. Liberation Theology
25. Political Hope

Great Bibliography as well.

I just got Turretin for fourty-five dollars in perfect condition; all three volumes. I didn't get ripped off, did I?;)

I just got Turretin for fourty-five dollars in perfect condition; all three volumes. I didn't get ripped off, did I?;)
Excellent price, you did well. My set cost more, even though it was at a good discount.

DTK

Just got:

The Family Worship Book - Terry Johnson
The Economy of the Covenants - Witsius

Calvinism and the Political Order
George L. Hunt, Editor/John T. McNeil, Consulting Editor
216 pgs, .1965, Westminster Press
Used at Abebooks here starting at $11

Contents:
1. Calvinism and European Politics in Historical Perspective - John T. McNeill
2. John Calvin on Civil Government - John T. McNeill
3. Philip Mornay and the Huguenot Challenge to Absolutism - Paul T. Furmann
4. Samuel Rutherford: The Law and the King - J.F. Maclear
5. The Puritan Ethic and the Spirit of American Democracy - Sydney Ahlstrom
6. John Locke: Heir of Puritan Political Theorists - Winthrop Hudson
7. John Witherspoon on Church and State
8. Abraham Lincoln and Calvinism - William Wolf
9. Woodrow Wilson: Presbyterian in Government - Arthur Link
10. Our Calvinist Heritage in Church and State - George Hunt

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by crhoades]

Supergeddon: A Really Big Geddon by Dr Sock and Nathan Wilson.
It was brutal! I was crying in some parts because I was laughing so hard! :lol:

The Everlasting Man by Chesterton.

[Edited on 8--12-05 by Draught Horse]

Jacob,
Where did you score Turretin for that price?! I can't afford it right now but I'd buy it anyways.

My most recent acquisitions (all Banner of Truth stuff -I love those guys):

Vol. 8 from the Works of Thomas Goodwin -Justifying Faith (it was a steal)
The 'I Wills' of the Psalms - P.B.Power
The Bruised Reed - Richard Sibbes
The Welsh Revival - Thomas Phillips
A Sure Guide to Heaven - Joseph Alleine

All for the low, low price of $20.00...at the greatest little bookstore ever (in the basement of PCPC in Dallas).

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
Jacob,
Where did you score Turretin for that price?! I can't afford it right now but I'd buy it anyways.

My most recent acquisitions (all Banner of Truth stuff -I love those guys):

Vol. 8 from the Works of Thomas Goodwin -Justifying Faith (it was a steal)
The 'I Wills' of the Psalms - P.B.Power
The Bruised Reed - Richard Sibbes
The Welsh Revival - Thomas Phillips
A Sure Guide to Heaven - Joseph Alleine

All for the low, low price of $20.00...at the greatest little bookstore ever (in the basement of PCPC in Dallas).

RTS Bookstore. A pastor came in and sold his library to the bookstore.

I just picked up that set that JohnV has always been talking about--Great Ideas of the World (or something like that)--for $30. There are about fifty volumes in it.

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
hmmmmm...I wonder why (the pastor) was selling his library???

From what I understand, he was getting out of the ministry.

Anyway, more books:

1) Beowulf, trans. by Seamus Heaney
2) Simple & Direct: A Rhetoric for Writers, Jacques Barzun
3) The Roar on the Other Side: A Guide for Student Poets, Suzanne Clark
4) Heroes of the City of Man, by Peter Leithart
5) The Principle of Protestantism, by Philip Schaff
6) Black and Tan: Essays and Excursions on Slavery, Culture War, and Scripture in America, by The Dark Lord Wilson

1 - Gospel Worship, Jeramiah Burroughs
2 - Worship of the English Puritans, Horton Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back