Acts 15:20, 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

antony73

Puritan Board Freshman
In Acts 15:20,29 the command is given to abstain from things strangled and from blood. How far should a Christian go in this matter? Are there any practical things one would do or not do to keep with this command?

This law was given in the law to the Israelites, therefore are we to conclude that it being restated in Acts is saying that this is one law that must continue? Or, is this command given here in relation to the practice of idol worship and drinking blood which was common at that time? Though this can't be the case since we are also told to abstain from things strangled. And since it is mentioned along with idol worship and fornication, can we conclude that eating or drinking blood is on the same par with idol worship and fornication?

Many times at Church, abstaining from idol worship and fornication is mentioned, but why not eating of blood?

I have met some Christians who enjoy eating blood pudding, and to me, this seems a violation of Acts 15. I personally conclude that one may eat of meat in good faith that its blood has been poured out, and that one must refrain from drinking blood or eating foods that are made with a blood base, such as blood pudding.

What are you thoughts on this matter?

Just a quick added note to the above; Could abstaining from blood and things strangled stated in Acts have been written to avoid a stumbling block for the Jews or new believers who had recently abandoned idol worship? (1Cor 8:1-13)

"Also relevant to our discussion is the evidence that the choking of the sacrifice, strangling it, and drinking or tasting of blood traspired in pagan temples. In regard of the former, we have evidence in the magical papyri of the attempt to choke the sacrifice and in essence transfer its life breath or spiritual vitality into the idol, and in regard to the latter R.M. Oglivie points to the practice, mentioned occasionally in the literature, of the priest tasting the blood of the sacrifice.... The decrees should be seen as referring to four different activities that were known or believed to transpire in pagan temples." (Witherington's commentary on Acts, p.464)

A footnote to the above states, "especially telling are the instructions in PGM XII.14-95: 'Take also on the first day seven living creatures and strangle them; one rooster, a partridge, a wren... taking them in your hand strangle them, while holding them up to your Eros, until each of the creatures is suffocated and their breath enters him. After that place the strangled creatures on the altar togetehr with aromatic plants of every variety.'"

I have my popcorn ready. Been dying to see what the Holy Spirit has taught other believers regarding this question. I am of the opinion that Matthew chapter 5 teaches that anything from the OT which Jesus or the Apostles did not fulfill, are continued. And in the case of Acts chapter 15, the Apostolic church made a very clear case: All other ceremonials/ritualistic/festivals-related laws are annulled in the NT. One is however to particularly abstain from these grievous sins of sexual immorality, idolatry, blood-eating and strangled meat.

What I am interested in, is the spiritual meaning of eating blood and strangled meat. I have some ideas, but would rather hear other's opinions

Interesting quote. Thank you. So with this in mind, then I would hazard that indeed 1Cor 8:1-13 would come into view, and that Acts 15 (also in view of the context), this was to avoid a stumbling block for the Jews or new believers who had recently abandoned idol worship? If this was the case, then there would be no present day restriction of diet, other than the conscience.

Witherington's view is the correct one. It refers to cultic practices, not moral practices. If these things were forbidden on moral grounds it doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back