Acts 8:15 prayed that they might receive the Holy Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Foo

Puritan Board Freshman
Dear brothers and sisters

Hi, I have a question to ask concerning the interpretation of Acts 8:15.

This account is recorded shortly after Stephen's death, where the church dispersed for the preaching of the gospel (except the apostles).

Now, when Phillip is mentioned, is it the same Phillip of the twelve?

Then, when Philip preached the gospel to the gentiles (for the first time, in Samaria), the people heard the word and believed.

My question is, can we safely deduce that Philip is preaching repentance from sin and faith in Christ to the Samaritans? Did Philip miss the preaching part where they ought to be baptised in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?

It appears that, in latter part of Acts 8, when Peter and John needed to go to Samaria in order that they may receive the Holy Spirit.

If we base on this passage alone, then can we deduce that it is a two-phase process, i.e., salvation first, Holy Spirit receipt later?

I understand that when it comes to systematic theology as a whole, the receipt of the Holy Spirit come together with the salvation of the soul. Romans is clear that we are baptised by one Spirit. If we're not so, we are not one of the family of God.

Would be glad if anyone could shed light on this, especially among the charismatics who like to cite this account to justify their pneumatology.

Thank you =)

The book of Acts is about the work of the Spirit, through the apostles, witnessing to Jesus first in Jerusalem, then in all Judea and Samaria, and then to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). As these milestones are reached, we might expect extraordinary signs or unusual events that don't follow a typical pattern.

The founding of the church in Samaria is not just another batch of new conversions. It is a milestone event. It represents the spread of the church into Samaria. Given this, it seems that God goes out of his way to show that this new church is his work and is not some hybrid Samaritan church, but is part of the same church already worshipping in Jerusalem. Having the apostles (the Philip mentioned here is NOT one of the Twelve) arrive personally for the giving of the Spirit makes these points.

The visible outpouring of the Spirit on the Gentiles at Cornelius' house a few chapters later is a similar occurrence. The details and order of events in that situation again are a bit odd, but this is because again God is making sure the milestone event is well-attested to and noticed.

It is hazardous biblical interpretation to take an example of an extraordinary case, like the spread of the gospel to Samaria or to the Gentiles, and use it to suggest what ought to be the norm. The founding of the church in Samaria is most surely a special event. It came with special signs. To learn what happens in a normal case, it's better to read Romans, as you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back