Adding Footnotes to a Post or an Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
I've been asked to provide some sort of method to add footnotes. This is not as seamless as some other products I've worked with but it is much simpler than trying to create all the bb code yourself. This solution looks pretty nice in operation too.

I've added to new bbcodes: anchor and jump

Anchors are locations on a page that can be jumped to when needed. If you were creating a footnote you would place the anchor at the bottom of your post like this:
1. First I put a horizontal rule to separate the end of the text from the footers by typing ! hr ! without the spaces between the exclamation points and the hr to produce a line:
<hr>
2. Next I add my anchor for the footnote and the text that will follow. The anchor=1 is the label of the anchor and the 1 in between the two anchor tags is the id of the anchor. You can give the anchors a different name if you like.
HTML:
[anchor=1]1[/anchor] This is an example of how I would use an anchor to create a footnote.

Next I want to create my text and insert the spot where I want to mark my footnote. The jump tag will link to the anchor tag I just created provided I give it the correct anchor id (which, in this case is 1). I've added to the end of the sentence so you can see it and click on it. [jump=1]1[/jump]

The code I inserted looked like this:
HTML:
[jump=1]1[/jump]

I'm going to add some Scripture to have the text scroll off the screen so you can see the footnote jump.

Romans 5
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

3And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

6For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

7For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

10For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

12Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

13(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

<hr>
[anchor=1]1[/anchor] This is an example of how I would use an anchor to create a footnote. I typed this out at the bottom of the post because I want it to appear at the bottom.

I'd love it if they could be auto-numbered too. I searched and this was the best I found unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back