"Adding to the Word of God"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyG

Puritan Board Graduate
Is there one, simple technical term meaning the above?
My daughter thinks so - she says she's heard divinity-student friends use it,.... only she can't remember what that term was. Is she right?

We define "exegesis" as drawing out of the text what is there, "unpacking the text". Eisegesis (pr. ICE-a-gee-sis) is the term for importing or attributing something into the text that is not there. This may be the term you're looking for.

We define "exegesis" as drawing out of the text what is there, "unpacking the text". Eisegesis (pr. ICE-a-gee-sis) is the term for importing or attributing something into the text that is not there. This may be the term you're looking for.
Thank you, I believe that must have been it.
I've always thought of that as bringing to the scriptures alien/inappropriate standards or presuppositions - rather than literally adding on (and I mentally pronounced it ACE-a-gee-sis :))
Of course that may have been all my daughter's friends were meaning - however she understood it. I'll try her with eisegesis anyway, and thank you!

If the adding to God's word is a reference to a technical term that textual critics use, the term may be "conflate"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back