Addressing a Campus Ministry and Commands to Not Be Unequally Yoked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
Not sure where this goes, so into General it heads.

A friend of mine who (on the student organization end) is the non-teaching leader of the LCMS congregation-sponsored campus ministry (as there is no RUF here, and inadequate people to start one) told me of a possible joint service project with the local Muslim Students Association. I told my friend that it would be extremely unwise and send a terrible message to the UTD student population if the ministry was to co-sponsor and have our name listed next to an MSA project, even if it purely a goodwill gesture.

I guess it would depend on the situation more specifically. but I think it would send a good message, assuming that anyone would care. It would say that you don't have to be anything in particular when you come and talk with us or help out at a service project. People hated christians that judge them, I hate christians that judge. This lets people know that we wouldn't corner them and slap them with a bible

The main basis I used to address it was the commands to not be unequally yoked to unbelievers, and as I said in response to this was that if Christians aren't to engage in business partnerships with non-believers, co-sign a loan with them, or to marry them (II Cor. 6:14-16 among others) - how much worse is it for a church-governed ministry to co-sponsor something with the promotion of an utterly anti-Christian group in this sense?

My friend only sees the good that can come out of Christians developing trust among Muslims and not the result of the ministry's reputation in the community as a tolerant, interfaith one, among many other ones. I tried to take a different approach that it might be more acceptable if some members of the organization helped unofficially on whatever project it was, but even that I question.

What are some sound Biblical ways I should address this issue and some good arguments on it. I will leave the organization if they do co-sponsor something in this regard. Am I being too harsh or critical?

P.S. Believe me, I recognize the blatant and exceedingly obvious evangelicalism in my friend's approach - that's something I've been working to correct for a long, long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back