Advanced Historical Theology - New Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just glancing through and I saw this in the section on the English Reformation:

With Henry VIII´s break with Rome over the divorce of his wife Anne Bolyn, came the Ten Articles of 1536.

Is that accurate? I thought the issue was his desire for a divorce from Catherine of Aragon, not Anne Boleyn. He just had Boleyn executed to marry Jane Seymour. Boleyn was executed in 1536, 2 years after the Act of Supremacy.

Catherine died in 1537 of 'a broken heart' at Kimbolton castle.

[Edited on 12-14-2004 by Steadfast]

I believe what happened was that King Henry VIII divorced Catherine of Aragorn in order to marry Anne Boleyn. A series of events paved the way for Henry and Anne to get married secretly in 1533, in which year the Pope excommunicated the King of England. The Act of Supremacy in 1534 officially made Henry the head of the Church of England. Two years later, Anne was executed.

From the Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition, 2001:

Divorce and the Reformation

Henry, determined to provide a male heir to the throne, decided to divorce Katharine and marry Anne Boleyn. English diplomacy became a series of maneuvers to win the approval of Pope Clement VII, who was in the power of emperor Charles V, Katharine´s nephew. The king wished to invalidate the marriage on the grounds that the papal dispensation under which he and Katharine had been permitted to marry was illegal.

The pope reluctantly authorized a commission consisting of cardinals Wolsey and Campeggio to decide the issue in England. Katharine denied the jurisdiction of the court, and before a decision could be reached, Clement had the hearing adjourned (1529) to Rome. The failure of the commission, followed by a reconciliation between Charles and Francis I, led to the fall of Wolsey and to the initiation by Henry of an anti-ecclesiastical policy intended to force the pope´s assent to the divorce.

Under the guidance of the king´s new minister, Thomas Cromwell, the anticlerical Parliament drew up (1532) the Supplication Against the Ordinaries, a long list of grievances against the church. In a document known as the Submission of the Clergy, the convocation of the English church accepted Henry´s claim that all ecclesiastical legislation was subject to royal approval. Acts stopping the payment of annates to Rome and forbidding appeals to the pope followed. The pope still refused to give way on the divorce issue, but he did agree to the appointment (1533) of the king´s nominee, Thomas Cranmer, as archbishop of Canterbury. Cranmer immediately pronounced Henry´s marriage with Katharine invalid and crowned Anne (already secretly married to Henry) queen, and the pope excommunicated Henry.

In 1534 the breach with Rome was completed by the Act of Supremacy, which made the king head of the Church of England (see England, Church of). Any effective opposition was suppressed by the Act of Succession entailing the crown on Henry´s heirs by Anne, by an extensive and severe Act of Treason, and by the strict administration of the oath of supremacy. A number of prominent churchmen and laymen, including former chancellor Sir Thomas More, were executed, thus changing Henry´s legacy from one of enlightenment to one of bloody suppression. Under Cromwell´s supervision, a visitation of the monasteries in 1535 led to an act of Parliament in 1536 by which smaller monasteries reverted to the crown, and the others were confiscated within the next few years. By distributing some of this property among the landed gentry, Henry acquired the loyalty of a large and influential group.

Later Years

In 1536, Anne Boleyn, who had given birth to Elizabeth (later Elizabeth I) but failed to have a male heir, was convicted of adultery and incest and beheaded.

Originally posted by Steadfast
Just glancing through and I saw this in the section on the English Reformation:

With Henry VIII´s break with Rome over the divorce of his wife Anne Bolyn, came the Ten Articles of 1536.

Is that accurate? I thought the issue was his desire for a divorce from Catherine of Aragon, not Anne Boleyn. He just had Boleyn executed to marry Jane Seymour. Boleyn was executed in 1536, 2 years after the Act of Supremacy.

Catherine died in 1537 of 'a broken heart' at Kimbolton castle.

[Edited on 12-14-2004 by Steadfast]

This is after what you are thinking, in relation to Anne and the Articles themsevles, which were later. You are right about his desire to divorce Catherine though, but that was earlier. See the church history section of the site for that whole deal.

[Edited on 12-14-2004 by webmaster]

Thank you so very much Matthew. I've been listening to some mp3 lectures for SermonAudio by Pastor Michael Phillips. He has a wonderful series on church history, (from a Baptist slant) and I've been enjoying in immensely.

It whetted my appetite for more and your overview is just the perfect next step. I don't know how you do it. You are following in John Owen's footsteps who "wrote more than most men can read".

Bless you.

maxdetail -

I love to write, and I love Christ, and I love theology. Mix those together and its pure adrenaline. I wish I could do it full time, but I haven't run into Bruce Wayne as of late to ask him for a grant. :lol: Maybe there is a full time job out there later on that will give me the time to write more.

Just think - I have a computer, John Owen had a quill pen. It is astounding that he wrote so much.

Nathan,

Be careful with guys like that. He defends chasrismania (even in his section on Montanism) and completely misunderstadn Sola Scriptura, (those are just two spots I checked.)

No bubble burst at all. What we need is more accurate information to be posted on the web. Dr. Storm seems like he is using historical theology to plug his own views (its a bit slanted).

I think what happens is that people have a superficial view of it and then read thier own ideas into the histroy of theology. Which is unfortuately, because people who read it think it is the truth.

Just be careful on what you read and be sure they can be trusted.

Do you have anything, or know of anything, Matt on the History of Revivalism. I have read several pieces lately blaming Puritanism for the rise of Revivalism. I tend to disagree with this view, but I would like to read something more thorough on it. The specific references have been to the N.E. Puritans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back