Advent in the PCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Advent be like we in Baptist churches observe and preach on the weeks leading up to the Cross, as as Palm Sunday, Good Friday etc?

By that, do you meant that preaching/teaching is done on events leading up to the Cross? Such as palm Sunday?

As a lifelong Baptist

My church does Advent, and we're baptist. Though, we don't do the ritual candles or things like that. We do some of the "calls" whatever those are officially called where we affirm truths out loud as a body.

I grew up IFB, and so anything that seemed even remotely Catholic we avoided like the plague. Even within the SBC, only the more liberal leaning ones seem to celebrate advent. That could be changing in the future as more Baptists are influenced by the likes of John Piper.

John Piper is considered a baptist?

He is not Southern Baptist, but he was the pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church.

All three of the PCA churches in my area mark the season of Advent, which usually consists of a family hand selected ahead of time walking up front to light an Advent candle and do a public reading. These churches also preach Advent sermon series as well. None of these churches preach expositionally, so starting a new sermon series isn't surprising this time of year. I dislike it personally, but when compared to all the other issues I've observed in the PCA it's sadly not that big of a deal anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back