Advice for stealth evangelism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leslie

Puritan Board Junior
In order to teach ESL, I took the local vernacular book of Genesis and back-translated it to English, making a clear-but-awkward English translation of the narrative portions. With printing this out with wide spacing between the lines, and grouping together English words where they represent one vernacular word (quite common) I presented the result to a pastor establishing a Christian school, showing him how the vernacular could be written above the English. He, in turn showed it to some private and public school teachers, who were wildly enthusiastic and wanted to teach English using these materials. They told our pastor-friend that they are willing and eager to buy this material were it available.

I think that it would work to make a series of booklets, ostensibly to teach English but also to evangelize, each having a portion of scripture: Creation, Fall, Call of Abraham would be starters. I'm just not sure about the psalms or the gospels, and what to do about the second coming. The culture here is much involved in the occult, so the power of Jesus over the demonic is important. I'm inclined to leave out the epistles since they presuppose a knowledge base the students would not have. Any suggestions? Has anyone else evangelized using only Bible passages?

It's good to hear from you again, Mary.

In this context, I certainly think it makes sense to focus on narrative passages first of all. However, I'm not sure why you wouldn't include the Gospels if you're able to. Especially Mark seems suitable, with a relatively simple vocabulary and fewer long speeches than the other Gospels.

Genesis, Exodus 1-20, Ruth, and Mark would all seem suitable to me for the purpose.

Thanks. I never thought of Ruth but that seems most appropriate. Mark also has the most stories of Jesus' encounter with the demonic.
M

I'm not sure what you mean by 'target'. The area speaks Wolaitta, the local tribal language, as their first heart language. Amharic is the national and market language. They want to, and should, learn English, since all education in middle school and above uses English. Kids who don't understand English end up just warming their seats through junior high and high school. The material that excited the teachers was a back-translation of the Wolaitta scriptures into English with wide spacing between the lines. The student writes the Wolaitta words above the English words or phrases. I hope this makes the situation clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back