Affirmations of Faith and the Regulative Principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Pope

Puritan Board Freshman
What is the best Scriptural defense for including Affirmations of Faith in corporate worship? Any recommendations for books which discuss Affirmations of Faith in regards to the Regulative Principle?

I don't know if these are the best, but they certainly presuppose corporate statements of faith:

Heb_3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Heb_4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

Heb_10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised. )

The word translated "profession", homologia, carries the idea of everyone proclaiming the same thing. "Our profession" reinforces the corporate idea.

The Puritans, specifically the Westminster Assembly, did not see a warrant and nixed the recitation of the creed. Gillespie included it in his MS notes in a list of things agreed to allow to lapse from the worship practices in the three kingdoms via the assembly's directory for the public worship of God (or maybe that was the doxology; getting late). Leishmann and Sprott have the history on it I think: https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...nepage&q=Leishman and inauthor:Sprott&f=false

Chris, it's funny how I was thinking of the Catechisms and and Confessions, and completely missed recalling the Reformers' dropping reciting of creeds.

Not that I'd recommend reciting Catechisms in worship, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back