Age according to the Flesh vs Age according to the Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan....

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was talking tonight with another believer who has brought across an idea that I have not been familiar with hereto. (probably because I've been living under a rock).

He said that there are those among Reformed theologians who hold that New Testament saints are different from Old Testament saints in that we (New Testament saints) live in the age according to the Spirit (or, the age to come) whereas the Old Testament saints were bound by the age according to the flesh. Hence, New Testament saints are enabled, by the Spirit, to put to death the flesh in a manner unknown to Old Testament saints and hence our sanctification as New Testament believers would be more evident in this life than was the Old Testament saint.

Is this common to Reformed Theology? Is this the majority position? Are there reformed theologians on both sides of this, and if so, what recommended reading can I look into to further understand this position?

Example:

Matthew Henry, Romans 8:10-16 -

[1.] You have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, v. 15. Understand it, First, Of that spirit of bondage which the Old-Testament church was under, by reason of the darkness and terror of that dispensation. The veil signified bondage, 2 Co. 3:15. Compare v. 17. The Spirit of adoption was not then so plentifully poured out as now; for the law opened the wound, but little of the remedy. Now you are not under that dispensation, you have not received that spirit.

Interesting. Maybe this is just new to me. Is Matthew Henry herein infering that Abraham, Joshua and David did not enjoy freedom from the bondage of sin as do New Testament saints? Did they not partake of Christ in the same sanctifying manner as we?

[Edited on 8-25-2005 by Dan....]

**He said that there are those among Reformed theologians who hold that New Testament saints are different from Old Testament saints in that we (New Testament saints) live in the age according to the Spirit (or, the age to come) whereas the Old Testament saints were bound by the age according to the flesh. Hence, New Testament saints are enabled, by the Spirit, to put to death the flesh in a manner unknown to Old Testament saints and hence our sanctification as New Testament believers would be more evident in this life than was the Old Testament saint.**

I look at it from a different perspective.There is no difference between Old and New Testament saints, and there is no difference in their salvation,for it is God that shows mercy ,no matter which side of the cross you live. All of salvation is of God "who showeth mercy". The beginning of salvation, the maintaining of salvation, and the perfecting of salvation are of God "who showeth mercy". The ultimate fountain and cause of salvation is God's decree of eternal election. As regards the actual salvation of the sinner the reference is to the beginning of salvation in regeneration, or the new birth and the gift of faith. The reference is also to the preservation of that salvation in us by the Spirit's work of sanctifying us or restoring us to repentance .

andreas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back