Age Ain't Nuthin' But a Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
A good example of optimism is when you plan to write and publish a 6-volume work - and Volume 1 is published when you're 75!

I'm thinking of J. G. A. Pocock (born in 1924) and his Barbarism and Religion, his 6-volume historian's meditation on Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1776-1788).

Pocock was born in London, but spent most of his childhood in New Zealand. He emigrated to the United States in 1966, when he was 42, and had various teaching positions, the last being Professor of History at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore (1974-1994).

And, yes, he finished all 6 volumes - Volume 6 was published in 2015, when he was 91.

He just turned 98 this March 7 and, as far as I know, is still going strong.

Amazing.

In a similar vein, I've really enjoyed Robert Caro's "Years of Lyndon Johnson" series. He's written four books massive books (1982, 1990, 2002, 2012) with a fifth planned covering the Vietnam War. Caro is 86 years old and plans on going to Vietnam to continue his research for it. I really hope he lasts!

(he's extremely critical of Johnson but he's such a good writer and covers the time period and background so well!)

In a similar vein, I've really enjoyed Robert Caro's "Years of Lyndon Johnson" series. He's written four books massive books (1982, 1990, 2002, 2012) with a fifth planned covering the Vietnam War. Caro is 86 years old and plans on going to Vietnam to continue his research for it. I really hope he lasts!

(he's extremely critical of Johnson but he's such a good writer and covers the time period and background so well!)

It's an interesting theme - creative people continuing to be creative into extreme old age.

Re "Age Ain't Nuthin' But a Number" – for some folks anyway! I'm not in extreme old age, having only turned 80 a couple of days ago, but I'm slowly dwindling. I do remain creative, as the Lord is the source of my life – a strange mix, diminishment yet the Fount of creativity still strong within me (as He said, "My strength is made perfect in weakness" 2 Cor 12:9). Good thing I published my "magnum opus" in 2017 – much thanks to you, Logan! – as I don't think I have that capability now.

The gentlemen mentioned above, they were unusual cases, come from hardy stock it would seem.

80 a couple of days ago

80WOW!
I kinda knew this, but it's still pretty cool.
I must seem like a spring chicken to you. I turned 70 last November. But that's older than any of the males on my father's side of the family.

My gene pool is not too promising.
  • My father, grandfather, and five of his brothers died in their fifties.
Now for my mother's side.
  • My mom died at 39.
But, there's one bright star. I have a favorite uncle (father's side) who just turned 80. :)

The old saw ... 'If I knew I was going to live this long I would have took better care of myself.'
So I'm surprised to have reached 73 years. Reasonably good health and whatever the Lord's will is for me.
I've lived in an over 55 condo community for 17 years now. I'm on the board of directors, in charge of maintenance, which is a volunteer position, and takes a lot of my time and energy.
TBH I fear living too long. I've helped out a number of people in their 80s, 90s who had deteriorated to the point they couldn't get around and do for themselves. I hope to go home to be with the Lord if I cannot physically, or financially be self sufficient. His will, not mine though.

The old saw ... 'If I knew I was going to live this long I would have took better care of myself.'
So I'm surprised to have reached 73 years. Reasonably good health and whatever the Lord's will is for me.
I've lived in an over 55 condo community for 17 years now. I'm on the board of directors, in charge of maintenance, which is a volunteer position, and takes a lot of my time and energy.
TBH I fear living too long. I've helped out a number of people in their 80s, 90s who had deteriorated to the point they couldn't get around and do for themselves. I hope to go home to be with the Lord if I cannot physically, or financially be self sufficient. His will, not mine though.

I've sometimes thought that I could live with a broken-down body as long as my mind was still clear. No guarantees, though.

I forgot to mention in the OP that I ordered the set (ordered them late Monday night; arrived late Wednesday afternoon, less than 48 hours later - go Amazon Prime!).

So:

1. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 1: The Enlightenments of Edward Gibbon (1999), 355 pages
2. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 2: Narratives of Civil Government (1999), 436 pages
3. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 3: The First Decline and Fall (2003), 541 pages
4. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 4: Barbarians, Savages, and Empires (2005), 384 pages
5. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 5: Religion: The First Triumph (2010), 441 pages
6. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 6: Barbarism: Triumph in the West (2015), 542 pages

All published by Cambridge University Press in very handsome paperbacks.

Total pages: 2,699. I guess I've got my Spring and Summer reading project!

I forgot to mention in the OP that I ordered the set (ordered them late Monday night; arrived late Wednesday afternoon, less than 48 hours later - go Amazon Prime!).

So:

1. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 1: The Enlightenments of Edward Gibbon (1999), 355 pages
2. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 2: Narratives of Civil Government (1999), 436 pages
3. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 3: The First Decline and Fall (2003), 541 pages
4. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 4: Barbarians, Savages, and Empires (2005), 384 pages
5. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 5: Religion: The First Triumph (2010), 441 pages
6. Barbarism and Religion: Volume 6: Barbarism: Triumph in the West (2015), 542 pages

All published by Cambridge University Press in very handsome paperbacks.

Total pages: 2,699. I guess I've got my Spring and Summer reading project!
Write and post reviews!

A good example of optimism is when you plan to write and publish a 6-volume work - and Volume 1 is published when you're 75!

I'm thinking of J. G. A. Pocock (born in 1924) and his Barbarism and Religion, his 6-volume historian's meditation on Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1776-1788).

Pocock was born in London, but spent most of his childhood in New Zealand. He emigrated to the United States in 1966, when he was 42, and had various teaching positions, the last being Professor of History at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore (1974-1994).

And, yes, he finished all 6 volumes - Volume 6 was published in 2015, when he was 91.

He just turned 98 this March 7 and, as far as I know, is still going strong.

Amazing.
I bought Robert Duncan Culver's Systematic Theology: Biblical and Historical simply because he was so old (89) when he finished writing it. I discovered it from reading this article: https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-old-man-and-his-big-book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back