Age Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner

Puritan Board Freshman
I thought it might be interesting to cite some age differences between some Christian men and their wives.Now,granted,some of these men were not so orthodox.Yet,others were quite sound in the faith.

First,a biblical example:"The girl(15 or so?)[Rebekkah] was very beautiful."Genesis 24:16.In Genesis 25:20 it says that Isaac was 40 when he married her.So maybe there was a 25 year age-gap.

An insignificant age difference was between Arthur Pink
and his bride Vera.He was 30,and she was 23.I'm just listing him because I like him.Just 7 years here.

John Brown of Haddington had two marriages.He was 11
years older than his first bride.But in his 2nd marriage at 51 years of age,he was 25 years her senior.

Richard Baxter was almost 47 when he married 27 year old Margaret.That's almost 20 years.

Mordecai Ham at 31 married 15 year old Annie Laurie in 1908.That's 16 years.But it is more significant because of her
extreme youth.

Martin Luther at 42 married his beloved 26 year old ex-nun Katherine.That is a 16 year difference.

John Knox at 50 hitched-up with 17 year old Margaret Stevenson.That was a 33 year difference.

And...(drum roll)with a 51 year divide...coming in first place in my mini-survey Gipsy Smith,at 78 kissed his 27 year old bride Mary Alice in 1938.

I know there are other examples out there.John Murray,
Samuel Rutherford,and Harry Ironside.Help me out.Oh,wait a minute.I forgot to include Adoniram Judson.He out-lived two wives.In his 2nd marriage he was just 15 years Sarah's
senior.But in 1846 Emily was 29 years younger than his nearly 58 years.

What, you have no modern examples. LOL. I do not think the marriage of teens is alowed these days.
LOL.

My dad married someone half his age for his second marriage. He is now on his third.

What would be interesting to see is the mindset behind all this. I am almost certain that it had more to do with Fathers wanting their daughters to be married to godly men who would be the solid head of any home, than any kind of romantic-love-dating-midlife-crisis thing.

In our day, we think that the most compatable matches are the same age. But covenantally, who would not want their daughter to marry a man of age who was godly and well grounded?

I don't have a daughter so I can't really speak to this.

My wife is almost 3 years older than I am. What does that say?

In Christ,

KC

[quote:53763bcddb][i:53763bcddb]Originally posted by kceaster[/i:53763bcddb]

KC [/quote:53763bcddb]

That she is about 34-35 months older than you?:D

[quote:aed6eb8cfa][i:aed6eb8cfa]Originally posted by Gregg[/i:aed6eb8cfa]
[quote:aed6eb8cfa][i:aed6eb8cfa]Originally posted by kceaster[/i:aed6eb8cfa]

KC [/quote:aed6eb8cfa]

That she is about 34-35 months older than you?:D [/quote:aed6eb8cfa]

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, I was impressed with her forethought. Realizing that, generally speaking, women have longer lifespans than men, she has planned for companionship right till the end. Of course, this CAN backfire, if you don't marry the right guy. Then that 50 years together can be more like prison...so treat her right, or when you're both old she'll hide your medication from you!

I can't marry someone younger than me. I absolutely must marry someone who's more mature and grounded than me, otherwise we're doomed...

Mary :bs2:

[quote:766f5dee4f][i:766f5dee4f]Originally posted by kceaster[/i:766f5dee4f]
But covenantally, who would not want their daughter to marry a man of age who was godly and well grounded? [/quote:766f5dee4f]

As a father of a baby daughter, I can say this in answer to your question: I do not want my daughter to marry anyone ever. :)

But, given the choice, I would, of course, want her to marry a godly, well-grounded man, though I might be concerned if she married someone 30 years her senior. I have no biblical warrant for such concern, but I would be concerned nonetheless.

By the way, my wife is 3 years older than me as well.

Lon

[quote:882ad87e5e][i:882ad87e5e]Originally posted by Mary[/i:882ad87e5e]

I absolutely must marry someone who's more mature and grounded than me, otherwise we're doomed...

Mary :bs2: [/quote:882ad87e5e]

Mary, I'm living proof that older doesn't always mean more maturity: (at least on discussion boards) :lol:

Gregg,

The Bouncies are Important Mediators on this board. You have a Duty to use them wisely, to keep things from getting too heated. I should hope you take that VERY seriously.

Hahaha. I know. Between your love affair with the bouncies, and my Stooges noises (which don't appear on the board, but are nonetheless an important part of my life), we are proof positive that although you're only young once, you can be immature forever!

Nyuk, nyuk. See, it doesn't work in this format. It has to be verbal.

Mary :D:D:D

Found another one

The Baptist , and literary giant , John Milton , married his third wife when he was 55 . Elizabeth was 24 . That's a 31 year age difference .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back