Age Directions for Ordination in "The Form of Presbyterial Church Government"

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Puritan Board Freshman
"The Form of Presbyterial Church Government" states:
He that is to be ordained, being either nominated by the people, or otherwise commended to the presbytery, for any place, must address himself to the presbytery, and bring with him a testimonial of his taking the covenant of the three kingdoms; of his diligence and proficiency in his studies; what degrees he hath taken in the university, and what hath been the time of his abode there; and withal of his age, which is to be twenty four years; but especially of his life and conversation. (Italics added)

My question is, is there particular reasoning around the statement "withal of his age, which is to be twenty four years"? Why 24 years? I was surprised to find such a concrete number.

By age 24 they would have finished the 4 years of university and on average 4 years of divinity studies. It was common for boys to go to university ages 13, 14, or 15 after 5 years grammar school. So by age 24 on average most would have completed their studies and perhaps had some experience as a tutor as well. There were exceptions as I found in researching this subject for a bio on George Gillespie (hence the info at hand above). Gillespie received his M.A. not yet 17 years of age and must have moved through the courses of study at an accelerated rate. He seems to also have finished the four year course of divinity in under 3 years and so been through with all his studies not yet 19 years of age, under the age of majority (21). It would have been unusual to ordain someone before age 21 (a rather singular exception was Andrew Grey at 20).
"The Form of Presbyterial Church Government" states:

My question is, is there particular reasoning around the statement "withal of his age, which is to be twenty four years"? Why 24 years? I was surprised to find such a concrete number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back